Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 101 of 111 FirstFirst ... 51 91 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1104

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    Thanks Mick

As for the RPC badge in review would most likely have been a WWII unit badge as there were said units in the area ~ 2/1 , 2/2 and 2/3 RPC,
    Hi Mate,
    I believe the Pioneer badge (Labour Corps) is British not Australian in origins. General Service insignia were worn by WW2 Aussie Pioneer Battalions. You need to chase a Bakelite economy version of this insignia to make a set Sweep.
    Here's some interesting facts I stumbled across re the Brit WW2 Pioneer Corps in relation to the enlistment of German/Austrian nationals in the British Army.

The Pioneer Corps was apparently the only British unit that enemy aliens could serve in early in the war. Many thousands of Germans and Austrians joined the Pioneer Corps to assist the Allied war efforts and liberation of their home countries. These were mainly Jews and political opponents of the Nazi Regime who had fled to Britain while it was still possible, and included the film production designer Ken Adam, writer George Clare and publisher Robert Maxwell. These men - often dubbed "The King's Most Loyal Enemy Aliens" - later moved on to serve in fighting units. Some were recruited by Special Operations Executive (S.O.E.) as secret agents. They were instructed to choose an "English" name using their old initials, and some of them were parachuted behind enemy lines.[9]

Serving as German nationals in the British forces was particularly dangerous, since, in case of taken captive, with a high probability they would have been executed as traitors by the Germans. Also, the number of German-born Jews joining the British forces was exceptionally high; by the end of the war, one in seven Jewish refugees from Germany had joined the British forces. Their knowledge of the German language and customs proved useful; many served in the administration of the British occupation army in Germany and Austria after the war.

Interesting.

All the best

Dave

Dave

Thanks for the excellent insight ~ on both accounts ~

I guess really if the badge was in fact an original ~ who knows ~ Could go back to the original theory that is was in fact a WWI UK serviceman ~ who migrated to Australia ~ and then the badge was lost ! (???????????)

But thanks for the input ~

Regards

Stuart SS

G'day all,
    Nice enamelled 58th Infantry Battalion "The Essendon Rifles" hat badge with backing.

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

I must say I do like the enamelled insignia.

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    Dave

Thanks for the excellent insight ~ on both accounts ~

I guess really if the badge was in fact an original ~ who knows ~ Could go back to the original theory that is was in fact a WWI UK serviceman ~ who migrated to Australia ~ and then the badge was lost ! (???????????)

But thanks for the input ~

Regards

Stuart SS
    I'd think it would be original Stu just not Aussie.

Dave

Ironically I found a definite WWII site some 45 metres from the same spot that PC badge was found ~

No more badges as yet ~ but a LOT of pre-decimal coins dating back as far as 1915 ~ plus lots of webbing buckles, Aust badges and misc ~

But keeping in mind this site was part of the original township and was also a camp site for WWII troops ~ a real mix in fact ~

Cheers
    SS

My Victorian mounted rifle badge has shown up~

Very nice and very happy with it ~

"The King's Shilling" (or Queens in this case!)

"The King's Shilling" (or Queens in this case!)
    Actually ~ to be padantic , mate ~ It IS the "King's Shilling" ~ as it is a King George VI ~ 1939 ~

But for a Queens Crown badge!

But for a Queens Crown badge!

Oh Yeah!! And a mirid of potential finds in the humble World of MD ~ LOL

Yesterday I dug a 5 sqM hole chasng potential "China Blue" medicinal jar as the fragments were about the spot ~ But only clear glass and a single brown one ~

But I did dig this Gem ~ Not bad fora buried relic of 70 Years ~ As found.. just washed off with water!

Page 101 of 111 FirstFirst ... 51 91 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... LastLast