Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 49 of 111 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 59 99 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

Default Re: Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    Very Nice Dave ~

I am on a mission now with my MD'ing ~ to find a nice original badge/s ~ best to date is three separate Australian Military Forces standard tunic buttons ~

~ BUT THEY WILL come ~

( Our current WWII site is in the Bush and not under water as previous ~ and being a much drier environment overall ~ the odds improve by the day ~ )
    Thanks for that.
    I keep an eye on your thread and enjoy your finds and the images of the general area you search. The Atherton Tablelands must be an exciting place to forage for sure. My Grandfather passed through the training area in 43. with the 2/13th.
    Good luck with your MD'ing and please keep posting your rather cool finds.

Cheers
    Dave

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Bloody Lovely Dave! these are local to my area
    G'day Rene,
    How's things mate, Well I hope
    These boy's were indeed your local mob, Lukes recruitment poster would have been pinned to a wall pretty close to where you live hey. It may still be there.
    It's super cool the small connections that are close to home,
    Here's a good example mate,

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Back home to Tassie and a potential family member.

Thanks to Luke for this one, I think it's excellent.
    Edwin was a Hobart boy.

All the best mate
    Dave

A few more Militia era insignia,

60th Battalion "Heidelberg Regiment" hat badge.

29th Battalion "East Melbourne Regiment" collar dog.

32nd Battalion "Footscray Regiment" collar dogs.

And lastly today a nice Stokes made 27th Battalion "The South Australian Scottish Regiment" hat badge.

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Post 1938 the battalion was associated with the British Army Seaforth Highlanders, hence the Stag head design of the hat badge and wore the MacKenzie Tartan (the Regimental Tartan of the Seaforth Highlanders). Prior to 1938 (1928-38) the Regiment was associated with the Irish Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

Cheers Fella's
    Dave

Double Wow ~ Dave those are fantastic ~ You certainly showing the best till last ! (?)

Thanks for the feed back on the Blog ~ I do enjoy sharing ~

( My new MD partner is far more secretive about the sites and asks not to share with all and sundry ~ Which I respect as he is the "finger man" now ~ that is he does all the research and I do the "more up-market field " MD as my MD has twice the search frequency of his ~ )

All a bit like Rolls and Royce ~ Royce was the book man ~ and Rolls was the active one.. Just hope I don’t end up like Rolls as he ended up dead after a Balloon accident!

I will look into the 2/23 ~

Funny I was talking to the manager of the Maintenance dept at work and he was telling me that his father was in the 2/32nd ~ and that site is where I have found most of my smalls including Rising Sun, name tags and extensive misc ~

I have extensive map/s of the sites and would be glad to share exactly where they were~ In fact it was one of site members ( Mick H.) that graciously shared the most recent which a similar camp sites map to another that I was given ~

But the MD find of Thursday was a tad down heartening as the <2 sq m > had been burnt and there were obviously dozens of the small buckets associated with the slouch hats ~ and an occasional melted blob. These I hate to think, may well have been Rising Suns and misc badges ~

Dave

Obviously don't know how much research you have done into your Grand-Dad's posting on The Tablelands but the GPS reading aka Google Earth ;

17 deg 37' 52.00" S

145 deg 28" 03,22 E @ 872 M

W-SW of Ravenshoe and halfway to Millstream.

It seems was a huge site with many units ~

Adding this rising sun, made by Stokes & Sons Melb, which I have been told elsewhere means it is WWI as in WWII it would be Stokes & Sons Melbourne. It came on a put together post war slouch hat, a bit of an odd one with a modern pug.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/USA-b...ch-hat-314972/
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.   Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

G'day Jerry,
    I think the WW1 Stokes GS hat badges only had Stokes and Son or Stokes on the reverse and no ref. to Melbourne or Melb.
    I may be corrected though as the period of manufacture is dubious with most GS badges.
    I checked Cossum's Rising Sun guide but it gives no real reference re period of manufacture for the Melb Stokes mark only Stokes and Son Melbourne as WW2 and Stokes Melbourne again WW2. I believe there are also other versions of the Stokes mark eg Your example, Stokes only and the unmarked examples.
    Cheers mate
    Dave
    Last edited by Thanatos; 07-01-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added text

Here's two Stokes examples Jerry.

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

The first reverse image is the Melb. example.
    I have always considered these WW2 GS hat badges but the period of manufacture is a bit up in the air re these as well as most other GS insignia.The exceptions would be the British made WW1 replacement examples, most notably the slider types which are know WW1 period.
    It's all a bit grey.

Cheers Jerry
    Dave
    Last edited by Thanatos; 07-01-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: tried to add image but had to add text

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    Dave

Obviously don't know how much research you have done into your Grand-Dad's posting on The Tablelands but the GPS reading aka Google Earth ;

17 deg 37' 52.00" S

145 deg 28" 03,22 E @ 872 M

W-SW of Ravenshoe and halfway to Millstream.

It seems was a huge site with many units ~
    Cheers for that
    I'll have a look on google earth.

Not a problem Dave.

Actually a co-worker at the office ~ ex-army himself and about to buy a new Minelab CXT ~ and I are planning to head out to Ravenshoe to work over some of these sites ~ and that one despite being a Nat park has to be a prime area!

It is a "iffy" issue with Nat parks, after all for example I have done the community and public some HUGE favours by 'sweeping' such areas. Be it removing lethal items, and or UXO to simply removing large amounts of broken glass etc ~ I figure if anything they should be PAYING us ~

Page 49 of 111 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 59 99 ... LastLast