Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 52 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 102 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

Default Re: Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Mate ~

I am only the " jackeroo come lately" ~ hardly been here long enough unsaddle the horse, let alone even expect a cuppa and bickie ~ but I for one would thoroughly enjoy seeing any Australian service medallions or colours ~

Ok, thanks. will try and get some things posted in the next couple of days. Have quite a few items, mainly cloth badges but a few metal pieces

Best
    Jack

Well here we go, my first post, hopefully these come out Ok and sized appropriately. This unit I believe was in Tobruk and on the the Kakoda Trail. different variations. Would these all be considered WW2 vintage? All feedback is appreciated.
    Best
    Jack

Hi guys. This is my own meagre contribution to this thread. All pieces are marked Stokes & Sons. Sorry its just the one photo but the cameras playing up so I thought I wont insult you all by putting up rubbish pic. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.  

G'day Jack,
    They look great from your images mate.
    The "grey" 2nd AIF backing can be a number of variations of this colour including a light blue so the diffrences in backing on your examples are OK.
    The small one is a mini patch which was worn above the patch of the diggers current unit showing service in that unit in the past. WW1 vets serving in WW2 wore their old units colours as a mini patch for example. Australians took great pride in their units colours in both World Wars.
    The 2/1st was raised in Oct 39 as part of 16 Brigade and was part of 6th Divi.They were involved in the early 1941 advance into Libya and took Tobruk 21-22 Jan 1941 and garrisoned the port until March that year.The Battalion moved to Greece at this time.From Greece to the disaster at Crete.The Battalion was reformed in Palestine and headed home in March 1942 arriving in August to counter the Japanese and the defence of Australia.The 2/1st then engaged the Japanese on the advance back up the Kokoda track and on the Gona/Sanananda beachhead losing over two-thirds of it's numbers killed,wounded or evacuated sick.
    It then engaged the Japanese again in 1944-45 in the Aitape-Wewak region of NG. This was it's last actions of the war.
    A nice set of patches Jack.
    In answer to your question re posting, Post away cobber
    Cheers for posting your Formation Patches mate.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Hi guys. This is my own meagre contribution to this thread. All pieces are marked Stokes & Sons. Sorry its just the one photo but the cameras playing up so I thought I wont insult you all by putting up rubbish pic. Cheers.
    A nice Stokes set Spitace41.
    Well done mate.

All the best
    Dave

Very tidy ~

And even better when I actually locate and dig the original lost medallions on site ~ And despite finding officer's pips (on site of the 2/ 7th Cavalry ) the Rising Sun * 2 (2/32 )~ is still the ultimate dig!

The 2/1st ~ I have not actually MD'ed thier camp site here on the Tablelands as yet ~ Just out of interest I will have a look ~

After all there were some 60 plus campsites around here ~!

As most of the collector buffs on site ~ Most AIF units returned from the Middle east and North Africa to be R&R and trained in Jungle warfare ~ Seems though 2/1 st BN was trained in Greta Victoria ~ this contradicts the AWM record ~

But there was a 2/1 (Guard unit) and 2/1 Pioneer Bn based at Ravenshoe ~ I have not swept any such unit sites at Ravenshoe ~ yet ~ although it is only some 30 km from home base . The AWM record suggests Wongabel area which is about 15 km from home ~

2/1st Pioneer Battalion | Australian War Memorial

But it is intriguing to trace the unit history and locate the camp site ~ here in FNQ ~ Then actually walk the ground as it were ~ Very Cool ~

( I am no authourity on units and placements and I am sure many of the blokes on site can put me on a much straighter curve as it were ~ I am simply using references I have in hand .)

Thanks for the thumbs up and the unit history Thanatos and AT P, I will enjoy this thread and keep posting. Nice to find other collectors.

I was pretty much the lone ranger here in my neck of the woods as far as Aussie militaria collecting.

Best
    Jack

Yes Jack ~ it is a fantastic blog this one ~ I joined in but at the risk of grubbying up the string I set up my Metal detecting blog on site ~

But I am almost stunned at just how well informed some of the blokes are ~ and they have given me some amazing insight to some of the treasures I have dug up in the last six months ~

Perhaps the most impressive was 'AIF' who identified a small metal pin medallion as potentially a 'Star of Africa' service medallion purely based on the unit site I was working, again the 2/7th Cavalry which saw service in North Africa. They ran Bren Gun Carriers .

And same site ~ "AIF" spotted a copper star I had dug... appears that it is fact the star from a Japanese helmet ~ Wel they did return from Kokoda for further R&R ~

And not forgetting the information from Hangarman and SteveT (UK) ~

What a wealth of information ~ makes my Metal detecting so much richer!

My Blog

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battl...covery-298546/
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 07-17-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Speaking of Humble ~

But the difference is that all these treasures mostly in original find patina ~ have been found on site via my Garrett Metal Detector ~ so really are " genuine with actual history" ~ So that makes them very special ~ ( No disrespect to any others meant !)

Page 52 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 102 ... LastLast