Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 53 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3 43 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 63 103 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

Default Re: Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

I agree the items found and dug at the camp sites are real history. I might guess you would uncover some U.S items. There were 90,000 Yanks "down under" by early 1943. Were they garrisoned near towns or out in the bush?

From what I had read the competition for the women folk got a bit testy between the Yanks and Aussies, oh well boys will be boys.

Jack

The 2/1st were up your way for most of 1944 I believe. Where in the Athertons Training area I am not sure though.
    Refitting after the Track and Beachhead battles.
    They were in Victoria for a period of time when they arrived back in Australia from the Middle East/Ceylon in 42.

Jack
    Your not the Lone Ranger here mate that's for sure.
    Cheers Fella's

Quote by Jack Kelly View Post
    I agree the items found and dug at the camp sites are real history. I might guess you would uncover some U.S items. There were 90,000 Yanks "down under" by early 1943. Were they garrisoned near towns or out in the bush?

From what I had read the competition for the women folk got a bit testy between the Yanks and Aussies, oh well boys will be boys.

Jack
    Do a search on the "Battle of Brisbane" Jack

Australian servicemen had a saying re this
    Over paid,over dressed,over sexed and over here
    Boy's will be boy's

I might guess you would uncover some U.S items.
    Yes ~there US forces around here. Many were based in Cairns.

I found a USA camp site not far from here ~ purely by word of mouth as there is no record of the base at alll that I can find~

I have been into the rain forest / jungle and found definite proof of a camp but nothing "concrete" confirming US presence. Perhaps the fact that I inadvertently walked into a "Stinging plant" that I have been back ~

The US corp of engineers did construction the local swimming structure on the Johnstone river at the edge of town ,

And the USA AF was embedded at Mareeba for some time - (40 kms form here) Plus some other units ~

90th Bombardment Group, "The Jolly Rogers", 5th Air Force, USAAF

Sorry ~ threatening to hi-jack the blog again !

( * The stinging tree is one of the most insidious things I have ever experienced ~ the pain does NOT go away ~ I have been burnt 2& 3d degrees burns, I have had broken bones. But thsi thing doe s not stop ~ I had to go to Hospital ~ to get soem relief and that was Easter~ It still gives me grief from time to time ! )
    Beware the Stinging Tree - Skyrail Nature Diary - Skyrail

Here is a pair for the 2/2 Bn. Different backing cloth material and color.

Best
    Jack

Here are some Cavalry pieces. These were part of a collection from the 1960's put together by a women who had served in the military during the war and communicated through the mail with other's in Australia to build her collection. I would not have been unable to acquire this many badges in another lifetime let alone doing it only through the mail. So my hat is off to her for putting a good collection together. Most all of the unit identification was done by her in the 60's

Trying not to duplicate other great items already shown. I am learning quite a bit here, Feedback is always welcome. Good or bad.

Jack

Last edited by Jack Kelly; 07-18-2013 at 03:13 AM.

Dave,

That is a knockout set, congrats

Jack

Oops a little out of sequence, this is a reply to your 39th Bn set.

Gday Jack,
    Cheers mate re the 39th set
    Nice stuff yourself cobber.
    Keep um coming

A couple of metal badges. The silver rising sun from what I gather could be Nursing or possibly Armor. The other I have marked as the Sydney University Scouts, being a collar or shoulder piece?? Are these WW2 era? Do I have them Id'd correctly?

thanks
    Jack

Woowha ~

Jack , very nice. Iknow nothig about either ~ let alone even know there was a 'silver' RS !

Very nice ~

( There was a field Hospital established at Rocky Creek not far from here ~ during WWII ~ one of the largest medical establishments ever put together ~ Staff numbers were around 2000 alone ~ to service the South Pacific forces during WWII.

It has been MD pretty hard over the years ~ but I would still like to have a sweep there `
    Maybe some similar items there ~ although we all know wimen are usually more thorough about their "dress' than blokes eh !

Rocky Creek, Atherton Tablelands, QLD

Interestingly the site is a War memorial and as can be seen in the link above shows all the unit patches ~ a good eference for the collectors on site (?) )

Page 53 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3 43 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 63 103 ... LastLast