Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 57 of 111 FirstFirst ... 7 47 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 67 107 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

Default Re: Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Your 2/5th IC patch is a ripper Jack.
    Well done on that one mate.
    Cheers mate
    Dave

Thanks Dave, am enjoying my collecting more now that there are others to share it with. Good time.

Best
    Jack

Quote by Jack Kelly View Post
    Thanks Dave, am enjoying my collecting more now that there are others to share it with. Good time.

Best
    Jack
    Good on ya Jack

Here are 3 more cloth patches. First is one of my favorites, 2/29 Bn. This unit was part of the 8th Division seeing action early in Malaya and the defense of Singapore. Sadly of course becoming POW's and ending up on the Thai/Burma railway. Lot of admiration for these troops as well as all 8th Division vet's. I am posting a piece of POW art I had found a copy of on the internet, this had sold at an auction house several years back. Hopefully will not get in trouble for pinching the image. I plan to have the art work duplicated and complete the color insignia shown for the troops serving in Malaya. A worthy use of my time and as I used to say in my younger years "it will keep me out of the bars".

Second patch is a little different. Having an Id "at least by me" as Sea Transport Medical Personel. Would these have been medical troops assigned aboard military transports? Last patch being a diminutive "prior service type" for the Pacific Island's Regiment. Kind of salty and has that "been there" look, which I like. Please make any additions or corrections to my Id's. Always enjoy everyone's input regarding unit history etc.

Best Jack

Some more Qualification, Trades and Marksman badges fella's,

Mortar Qualification Badge.

Bandmaster/Bandsman Badges.

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

The badge without the backing plate is much larger than the other example. Bandmasters hat badge I think.

Trumpeters Badge.

Buglers Badge

Marksman Qualification badge with Federation star for Best Shot in Company.

And a Marksman Badge.

Cheers Luke for adding to my collection with some of these

Nice patches and a cool 8th Divi. units in Malaya poster Jack.
    Not to certain re the second patch mate.

Other 8th Division units taken into captivity early in 1942 by the Japanese were components of the "Bird Forces" which occupied strategic locations North of Australia and New Guinea.
    "Sparrow Force" which comprised the Tasmanian raised 2/40th Infantry Battalion with contingents from 18th Anti-Tank Battery, the 2/12th Field Ambulance and the 2/11th Field Company as well as a 23rd Brigade Signals unit at Koepang on Dutch East Timor. The 79th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery RA was also taken in this engagement. The 2/2nd Independent Company was also part of Sparrow force but was in Portuguese Timor at the time of invasion so escaping captivity. It fought a hit and run battle with the Japanese until December 1942 when it was evacuated back to Australia.
    The 2/21st Infantry Battalion as part of "Gull Force" was taken into captivity on the island of Ambon in the Dutch East Indies also with contingents from the 2/11th Field Company the 2/12th Field Ambulance as well as the 18th Anti-Tank Battery. Many of this 1100man strong Force died in Japanese hands due to overwork, starvation and execution.
    The 2/22nd Infantry Battalion as part of the around 1400 strong 'Lark Force' at Rabaul on New Britain early in 42' with the 2/10th Field Ambulance the 17th Anti-Tank Battery and other associated support units including Divisional Artillery, Anti-Aircraft and Signals detachments as well as an Engineer Company. Over 1000 members of Lark Force died when the USS Sturgeon torpedoed the Japanese transport ship Montevideo Maru on route to Hainan on the 30th of June 1942.
    Poor bloody 8th Division for what they had to endure to see home again.

Later gents.

Sorry fella's I've had to split the post into three as only half the images inserted correctly. I think I tried to squeeze to many into one post.
    Here we go again.

Stokes marked Range Takers Badge.

Surveyors and Battery Surveyors Qualification Badge with Arendsen marked backing plate.

First Class Gunnery Badge.

Third Class Gunnery badge.

Gun Layer Qualification Badge.

Carpenter/Wheelmaker Trades Badge.

And one more time,

Signals badge.

Pioneer Badge.

Driver Qualification Badge.

Horse Transport Driver Badge.

Cheers Fellas and again sorry re the messed up post.
    Later
    Dave

Dave, nice grouping of badges. I am assuming these are worn on a dress type uniform? Are these considered pre WW2 or worn throughout the war and after? I have seen some of these before in cloth but rarely in metal.

The info on the "Bird" units is interesting and I had not heard them referred to in this way. Have got a book loaded into my Kindle on the defense of Singapore but have not started on it yet. Luckily some of the badges for units you had mentioned were in the most recent group of badges added to my collection .

The poster was described as done by a POW and sold reasonably in my opinion several years back. I am not the owner.

Excuse all the questions, still learning. Have a large military insignia show coming up in Kansas City beginning of September, hopefully there may be some Australian items. They normally will not move too quickly due to lack of knowledge on the subject here in the U.S.

Best
    Jack

Had not realized that the units of 8th were scattered about as mentioned. The sinking of of the POW ship is one of those tragic moments in war where nothing makes any sense. Agreed the 8th endured hardships far above the call of duty.

Best
    Jack

P.S. thanks for the great background history on the 8th Div units. much appreciated

Jack

Page 57 of 111 FirstFirst ... 7 47 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 67 107 ... LastLast