MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

AIF
    ?

Default Re: Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Rene It's no problem at all I will take some pictures shortly

Quote by AIF View Post
    Militia corps & unit badges weren't worn post 1942 as everyone wore the General service badge and colour patches were used to distinguish the units. I will have a look at Cossums in a sec and see what it says about the non enamelled AIC badges.

As for the 2nd Lt rank I don't think it was actually dropped I think It was more of a case of It just never existed within the AIF but It was still used by the militia. Although I have seen a couple of AIF tunics with this rank, my only explanation is that If a 2nd Lt was serving within the Militia and transfered to AIF they would keep the rank until promoted.
    That's why I have taken an interest in Militia insignia of late Luke. They are part of the WW2 Militia's heritage.
    I keep saying it "every one forgets the Militia pre late 1943"............ apart from the 39th that is.

I've always found the 2nd Lt thing a bit grey. Used in WW1 but dropped during WW2 and later reinstated. Your theory sounds logical for sure mate and may explain the physical evidence that's out there.

Quote by AIF View Post
    Rene It's no problem at all I will take some pictures shortly
    If you are, then this really should be a sticky thread

AIF
    ?

And Dave, Cossums doesn't say anything about the difference in the AIC badges. His books although old are great references that everyone still uses to this day... BUT It's lacking somewhat in information.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.  

The good old standard AIF set. General Service Badges and Australia titles.

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Plenty of different makers and variants with these to post fella's.

Most of my collection is on display at my local RSL. We have a small museum and I like to share my collection with who ever is interested. I have to collect the bulk of it and return it home to take new images of my pieces as I lost all my files when my computer hard drive went down a couple of months ago. As I am no computer legend I didn't back anything up and paid the price, big time. I did not fully comprehend what would happen if...... Live and learn the hard way Dave.
    I still have a bit here to fill in time though.

All the best
    Dave
    Last edited by Thanatos; 04-22-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Grammar

AIF
    ?

Righto fella's I will start posting some patches... I will try to identify them where I can but as I don't have Glydes book anymore I will have to go by memory... So If I make any mistakes please feel free to correct me.

I will start off with a bit of purple... Patches worn by the Royal Australian Engineers.

1. RAE 6th division
    2. RAE 7th division
    3. RAE 8th division
    4. RAE 8th division (broken 8th) Worn by members who weren't captured at Singapore.
    5. RAE 9th division (pre 1943)
    6. RAE 9th division (post 1943)
    7. RAE 11th division
    8. RAE Line of Command troops
    9. RAE 1st Australian Armoured division
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.  

AIF
    ?

Some more Engineers...

1. RAE 1st Australian Corps
    2. RAE 3rd Australian Corps
    3. 2/1st Fortress Company Engineers (Part of Sparrow force captured on Timor)
    4. RAE Fortress companies
    5. RAE Water Transport Units (First type Bevo)
    6. RAE Water Transport Units
    7. RAE Chemical Warfare (?)
    8. RAE 6th div mini
    9. RAE 7th div mini
    10. RAE 3rd Armoured division mini

AIF
    ?

Signals Units.

1. 5th Division Signals (Militia)
    2. 7th Division Signals
    3. 8th Division Signals
    4. 9th Division Signals (pre 1943)
    5. 11th Division Signals
    6. Signals 1st Australian Armoured Corps
    7. Signals 1st Australian Corps
    8. Signals 2nd Australian Corps
    9. Signals 3rd Australian Corps

AIF
    ?

I meant to post this before I started posting patches... Anyhow, Dave here is my set of non enamelled AIC badges. Mint and unissued

I have enamelled collars somewhere I just need to find a nice hat badge for a decent price... I remember one time many years ago seeing a mint set of enamelled badges at a militaria fair for $35 and thinking wow that's bloody dear... If only I knew back then

AIF
    ?

Also a couple of sets of mint unissued rising sun badges made by "Stokes"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.   Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.  

Page 6 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 106 ... LastLast