Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 61 of 111 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 71 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

Default Re: Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

He is another one I need to ask about reprints - his reprinted/updated combined badge book has been "coming soon" for several years now.

Mick

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Yes mate I did ask the question but a reprint is not planned for the near future as you say.
    It would sell for sure. Even a limited edition reprint would be a go'er .
    Funny enough J.K.Cossum also lives in Hobart.

Cheers Mick
    Dave

?

Gday All,
    I have been admiring all the great badges and uniforms on this thread and thought I should drop in and add my own small contribution. This belonged to a Sgt of the 2/1 Port Operating Company and I was very pleased to purchase it as my main theme is Royal Australian Engineers.

Cheers
    Oz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.  

Hello Oz, welcome. Great looking uniform.

Best
    Jack

G'day OZ,
    Very nice mate, congrats.
    Welcome to the thread and Forum, You will find a few Australian orientated threads here that may be of interest.
    Could you possibly post the manufactures code from your GS Tunic on the Australian Manufactures code thread if that's ok by you.

Again welcome cobber.
    All the best
    Dave

?

Thank you Jack and Dave.
    Yes, I will post the code in that thread.

Cheers,
    Oz

One from my collection - early WW2 period patrol blues tunic to Lieutenant-Colonel John Bruce Pye, E.D.

Twice CO of the 1st Light Horse (New South Wales Lancers).

Enlisted in the A.I.F. as a private in the 5th Field Ambulance with which he served on Gallipoli, in Egypt and in France; transferred to the 53rd Battalion, September 1916; after attending No. 4 Officers' Cadet Battalion, Oxford, gazetted 2nd lieutenant, 24/1/1917; posted to the 55th Battalion, A.I.F.; lieutenant, 24/6/1917 to 19/7/1919.

He joined the N.S.W. Lancers, 31/3/1921, becoming a captain, 10/2/1923, and holding an appointment on the divisional staff for four years to 30/9/1928; major, 1/3/1929. It was during his first term as regimental commander, 1/10/1933 to 30/9/1937, that the unit was dehorsed and motorised.

Except during wartime he was able, when others were not, to personally visit the K.D.G. and so help to keep the two regiments in touch to some extent.

After Lieutenant-Colonel Hawke was appointed to the A.I.F. in 1940 Major Pye was brought off the Unattached List to take over the regiment again and was in command from 1/6/1940 to 23/8/1942, being made a temporary lieutenant-colonel in September 1940. His last two years with the regiment were years of change—changes in organisation and equipment, a change from part-time to full-time duty, and great changes in personnel. Thanks are due to him for constructive action to preserve regimental and mess property during the years of war when the regiment was away from its home centres— action which, unfortunately, was not paralleled in some other units.

He became an honorary lieutenant-colonel, 25/10/1942. While on the Reserve he held the appointment, 1/1/44 to 4/9/44, of honorary extra A.D.C. to the Governor-General, Brigadier-General Lord Gowrie, V.C. who, incidentally, had become colonel of the K..D.G.

A grazier, of Bringelly near Camden, Colonel Pye will be remembered as one who always gave the needs and demands of his regiment the highest possible priority.

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Mick

ps

Spots are just reflections not stains

Magnificant Mick, A real beauty.
    Thanks for posting it mate it's something special for sure and cheers for the owners service history.
    Super cool Mick

Dave

Thanks Dave!

I collect Royal Australian Armoured Corps related uniforms and also have other uniforms attributed to commanding officers.

I have a 1950s battledress uniform to a CO of 8/13 VMR who served with the 2/4th Armoured Regiment during WW2.

Mick

ps

I'm always looking for RAAC related badges, patches and uniforms - just thought I'd mention that here as well

Very nice uniform Mick. quite unique in blue color. Great service history for this officer.

Would this type of uniform have what I will call "riding breaches" for pants? What does K.D.G. represent, Is it King's Dragoon Guards? Excuse this Yank if I am way off on that

Best
    Jack

The pants are standard patrol blues pants with a yellow strip.

And yes, Governor-General, Brigadier-General Lord Gowrie, V.C was a colonel of the Kings Dragoon Guards.

Mick

Page 61 of 111 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 71 ... LastLast