Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 65 of 111 FirstFirst ... 15 55 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 75 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

Thank You Lithgow, I do have interest in Australian Mil History. I may not be very well read but continue to grow my base of knowledge. The Gallipoli connection is not lost on me. I can appreciate it's significance and historical importance.

Best
    Jack

I didn't mean it as any sort of a slight but it would be a somewhat exotic field for an American given there was no US involvement in that WW1 campaign unlike, say, the Western Front or the Italian Front (care of Big Ernie Hemingway and 'A Farewell To Arms').

G'day Fella's,
    I will post my single brass "A" cypher for you to have a look at when I can access my computer again Jack.
    These were authorised for wear in Nov 1917 I believe.

Nice patch Jack

Back to work Dave

?

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Here is a pic of my 'A' badge still attached to its original colour patch cut from the remains of the diggers uniform (not be me of course). I think the WWI fabric shows the weave which more modern felt does not have. The A has two lugs to the rear. An A with a single lug would probably have been cut from an 'Australia' badge.

Oz

No problem Lithgow, I did not take it as a slight and I appreciate you looking in on my post

Best
    jack

Very nice Oz, thanks for the pic.

To your point regarding the weave on WW1 fabric, I agree from what you posted and having in my own collection it is of a thinner weave. The patch I have posted is different from what one might expect from a WW1 piece. Not sure if mine is a Veterans piece or could this still have been worn after the war by individuals who qualified on their uniforms.?

Best
    Jack
    Last edited by Jack Kelly; 08-20-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    I didn't mean it as any sort of a slight but it would be a somewhat exotic field for an American given there was no US involvement in that WW1 campaign unlike, say, the Western Front or the Italian Front (care of Big Ernie Hemingway and 'A Farewell To Arms').
    By the way Lithgow I am a big fan of Hemingway. "A Farewell To Arms" does give one a good feel for service on that front. From the frightful to the farsical, however the ending does not turn out the way one might have hoped.

best
    Jack

Here are some cloth pieces from Under the Down Under,Tasmania. Hopefully Dave can look in. Best Jack

That's a great set of patches Jack, I am envious mate.
    Tasmania was part of the 6th Military district until 1943 when the title was changed to Tas L of C area.
    This was also known as Tasmania Force.
    Well done on your patch collection mate it's magnificant.
    Cheers for posting

All the best Jack
    Dave
    Last edited by Thanatos; 08-22-2013 at 05:48 AM. Reason: finished post when manager left building Hehehe

Thanks Dave, appreciate the kind words and the info on the Tasmania Force.

Best
    Jack

Page 65 of 111 FirstFirst ... 15 55 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 75 ... LastLast