Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 75 of 111 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 85 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

I think people say its worn by Light Horse to justify selling these at higher prices on eBay!

Infantry, Service Corps and Artillery also wore the slider version badge.

Mick

Cheers Mick I had my doubts re this one.
    Cussoms stated Bi metal comstruction and the apperance was similar to the guide but when it landed here I had my doubts on originality.
    Purchased ex UK. Have you noticed the ever growing repo's on Ebay UK re Australian Militia era insignia ?
    Thanks for your call mate
    Dave

Yes mate - I've seen quite a few duds of 30-42 period badges coming out of the UK.

They are easily detectable though - lugs tend to be either wrong shape of size on those.

Mick

Interesting story re the pocket watch Sweep. Do you know the diggers name mate ?
    Dave

I assume based on "Steve's" last name the Digger's last name would be McNeilly ~ and again I can only assume he woudl have joined up at Griffith NSW or even Wagga,,

Any more than that I don't know ~ but a very poignant story ~

Another digger ( A neighbouring farmer ) ~ story I was told of ~ and the Kokoda track, after this Digger was asleep in his fox hole, he suddenly woke for some unknown reason ~ and he fired off several bursts from his Bren gun `

In the morning, he found a dead Japanese solider face down, metres from his dug out, with knife still in hand ~

Intriguing especially since both my partner , Merete and I truly believe in "Spirit' ~ supporting each of us ~ especially down to tapping us on the shoulder in moments of stress or need ~ In short don't ignore that sudden revelation ~ that tap on the shoulder or the hunch ~ - LOL

Survival/self presevation are strong human urge's/instincts. Many a soldier over thousands of years has saved his own life or the lives of others by acting on them without hesitation. I bet there would be a ancient Greek story or similar relating to this phenomenon.
    The human mind is a powerful tool that we lack a full understanding of I feel.
    I will have a look and see if I can find out some info re McNeilly for you Sweep.
    Cheers mate
    Dave
    Last edited by Thanatos; 10-29-2013 at 03:23 AM. Reason: added text

Hi Guys,

Is anyone able to ID these colour patches?

MickPost your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Mick

Could the bottom one be possibly a Torres Strait associated unit ?

Possibly...

Here is a pair of Torres Strait badges, the vertical panel on the Light Inf badge is dark green. The first badge reminds me in color of a MG unit but shape is not right. jack

The colours on my patch are black and red. The purple probably means its Royal Australian Engineers.

Mick

Page 75 of 111 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 85 ... LastLast