Page 83 of 107 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

Just to add a little 'Colour' ~ here is the badge I pulled out the murky waters of the local dam on Monday ~

Firstly totally as is and unmolested ~ then lightly brushed ~

( I have some ten of these ~ in various states, even two that are broken in half/s! All prizes of MD and fossicking ~ but this one is special as it has one of the pins attached ~ My definite favourite !)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shoulder Australia Badge  6 Jan 14 (7) (Medium).JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	319.9 KB 
ID:	625569

Name:	Shoulder Australia Badge  6 Jan 14 (8) (Medium).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	625570

Name:	Shoulder Australia Badge  6 Jan 14 lightly touched  (2) (Medium).JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	625571

?

Thanks Luke, seeing as they were a main producer during WW2 it's strange that there isn't much info about them online. If you type stokes in google you get a heap of hits.

?

AT P Sweep the condition of that title is amazing considering what it's been through.

Yes mate;

To think that badge has been laying on the bottom for over 70 years ~ amazing ~ The photos don't do justice ~
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 01-08-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Hey Blokes

Went out again yesterday and had a great day ~ report other blog ~

I picked up an Officer's pip ~ bent + a Tunic Rising Sun ~ bent + a Aust shoulder badge - bent! (Among a host of other WWII bits ~ )

So I decided to torch them and straighten them out ! And finally very lightly brushed them ~

Here they are ~

Before ;

Name:	Fossick #93 & walkabout 9 Jan 13 (38) (Medium).JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	626319

After

Name:	Fossick #93 relics flame  and brushed  (5) (Medium).JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	626321

Name:	Badges restos in  lite of  day (2) (Medium).JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	626320

Under illumination ~

Name:	Rising Sun  flamed and buffed  (1) (Medium).JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	626322

Not bad for being buried for some 65-70years in mud and slime ~

Stunning ~ but there goes the natural patina effect ~ the burning question / temptation ~ should I do some more !?

"Stunning ~ but there goes the natural patina effect ~ the burning question / temptation ~ should I do some more !?"
    Thats the million $ question mate , Each to there own I guess , personaly I just leave things as they are , and I dont mind the patina or some rust on items at all , In fact many fakers go out of there way to add it !
    Ive got some items that I would love to clean up , to pristine condition , but any form of tampering would destroy the originality and in the long run id lose big $ if I decided to sell them later on.

KW

Thanks for the input ~

Once again I figured I once again had little to lose as all three were suffering from "Battle damage"!~ The pip was almost crushed and looked more like a marazzulle pasta ~

I have one hat Rising Sun I have with hints of the original royal blue is one that certainly is bound to remain intact when it comes to original patina ~
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 01-10-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    KW

Thanks for the input ~

Once again I figured I once again had little to lose as all three were suffering from "Battle damage"!~ The pip was almost crushed and looked more like a marazzulle pasta ~

I have one hat Rising Sun I have with hints of the original royal blueis one that certainly is bound to remain intact when it comes to original patina ~
    In your case mate , where you are fossicking in mud and dirt , cleaning up trinket items is a no brainer , and excellent results , just watch out one day you might come across something really cool , and you would have to think twice or at least consult before putting a blowtorch and wire brush on it as there are other options to clean things up.
    Happy Hunting !
    My Mrs has been banging onto me for years about getting a metal detector and going bush looking for lost treasures !
    I just couldnt be F%$#ked , after working 70hrs a week id rather go fishing

Quote by michael77 View Post
    Thanks Kenworth got a few days off work coming up going to put up the Pilot Wings the Observer and Navigator.. The AGs look ok ?
    Post em up , just do one at time front and back , If you have a new scanner check the settings , I find 200 DPI gives a good clear image on the net after you crop it . If posting black backings, just adjust the exsposure to lighter to show up the thread underneath .

Wings are grouse to collect , and RAAF ones are pretty easy to sort the shit from the original ones.

And from time to time you can even find Theater Made Variations , if you know what to look for

Default Trade Qualification Bages

Here is a couple more I have , NFI what they are, ( And dont say Sniper ) , was gonna Goggle it lol , but im sure Dave or another member can tell me quicker