Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 83 of 111 FirstFirst ... 33 73 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 93 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

Just to add a little 'Colour' ~ here is the badge I pulled out the murky waters of the local dam on Monday ~

Firstly totally as is and unmolested ~ then lightly brushed ~

( I have some ten of these ~ in various states, even two that are broken in half/s! All prizes of MD and fossicking ~ but this one is special as it has one of the pins attached ~ My definite favourite !)

?

Thanks Luke, seeing as they were a main producer during WW2 it's strange that there isn't much info about them online. If you type stokes in google you get a heap of hits.

?

AT P Sweep the condition of that title is amazing considering what it's been through.

Yes mate;

To think that badge has been laying on the bottom for over 70 years ~ amazing ~ The photos don't do justice ~
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 01-08-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Hey Blokes

Went out again yesterday and had a great day ~ report other blog ~

I picked up an Officer's pip ~ bent + a Tunic Rising Sun ~ bent + a Aust shoulder badge - bent! (Among a host of other WWII bits ~ )

So I decided to torch them and straighten them out ! And finally very lightly brushed them ~

Here they are ~

Before ;

After

Under illumination ~

Not bad for being buried for some 65-70years in mud and slime ~

Stunning ~ but there goes the natural patina effect ~ the burning question / temptation ~ should I do some more !?

"Stunning ~ but there goes the natural patina effect ~ the burning question / temptation ~ should I do some more !?"
    Thats the million $ question mate , Each to there own I guess , personaly I just leave things as they are , and I dont mind the patina or some rust on items at all , In fact many fakers go out of there way to add it !
    Ive got some items that I would love to clean up , to pristine condition , but any form of tampering would destroy the originality and in the long run id lose big $ if I decided to sell them later on.

KW

Thanks for the input ~

Once again I figured I once again had little to lose as all three were suffering from "Battle damage"!~ The pip was almost crushed and looked more like a marazzulle pasta ~

I have one hat Rising Sun I have with hints of the original royal blue is one that certainly is bound to remain intact when it comes to original patina ~
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 01-10-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    KW

Thanks for the input ~

Once again I figured I once again had little to lose as all three were suffering from "Battle damage"!~ The pip was almost crushed and looked more like a marazzulle pasta ~

I have one hat Rising Sun I have with hints of the original royal blueis one that certainly is bound to remain intact when it comes to original patina ~
    In your case mate , where you are fossicking in mud and dirt , cleaning up trinket items is a no brainer , and excellent results , just watch out one day you might come across something really cool , and you would have to think twice or at least consult before putting a blowtorch and wire brush on it as there are other options to clean things up.
    Happy Hunting !
    My Mrs has been banging onto me for years about getting a metal detector and going bush looking for lost treasures !
    I just couldnt be F%$#ked , after working 70hrs a week id rather go fishing

Quote by michael77 View Post
    Thanks Kenworth got a few days off work coming up going to put up the Pilot Wings the Observer and Navigator.. The AGs look ok ?
    Post em up , just do one at time front and back , If you have a new scanner check the settings , I find 200 DPI gives a good clear image on the net after you crop it . If posting black backings, just adjust the exsposure to lighter to show up the thread underneath .

Wings are grouse to collect , and RAAF ones are pretty easy to sort the shit from the original ones.

And from time to time you can even find Theater Made Variations , if you know what to look for

Default Trade Qualification Bages

Here is a couple more I have , NFI what they are, ( And dont say Sniper ) , was gonna Goggle it lol , but im sure Dave or another member can tell me quicker

Page 83 of 111 FirstFirst ... 33 73 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 93 ... LastLast