MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 98 of 111 FirstFirst ... 48 88 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 108 ... LastLast

Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Article about: RAAF Pilot Officer Epaulettes. *Make a Mental Note in your Brain about what I said in last post *

Dave
    The mystery badge ~

Thanks to bigmacglenn1966 (On site)
    WRF Club member

Civil Defense cap badge...British/Canadian/Australian...
    cheers, Glenn

CD = Civil Defence.

Quote by Anon View Post
    The Ludlow makers mark is circa WWII, in WWI they used the mark Ludski. Either version is quite a rare makers mark to see, and in this case the birdy is WWII Dave.
    Sorry for the late reply but I,ve been off line for a few days.
    Thanks Jerry appreciate the info mate. I must admit I have seen very few bird's that face that way and was in two minds as for it's period.
    Thanks again Jerry

All the best

Dave

Hey Blokes ~ I have an issue ~

I dug yet another Rising Sun several days ago ~ but this one is special ~

It is a Cracker ~

It is also the second one I have found it the same area ~ which I believe was the 2/1 st Battalion ~

Did they have exclusively Blue enamelled Rising Suns? Or is my reference incorrect and it was a different mob ?

I would think this is natural pantina. I don't know of any unit GS badges that were blue enameled with the possible exeption of the blue in the Officers Instructional Corps Insignia 1930-42. Soil condition's I would think.

All the best

Dave

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    Hey Blokes ~ I have an issue ~

I dug yet another Rising Sun several days ago ~ but this one is special ~

It is a Cracker ~

It is also the second one I have found it the same area ~ which I believe was the 2/1 st Battalion ~

Did they have exclusively Blue enamelled Rising Suns? Or is my reference incorrect and it was a different mob ?
    It does almost appear to be painted black, but could as Dave mentioned be natural patina caused by the soil conditions.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

With all due respect blokes ~ I do not believe that it is patina ~

I have dug some 34 -36 rising Suns and this one and one other ~which I recovered very close by ~ in fact at the bottom of the hill ~ some 50 metres away and no others have had this enamel ~ And the soil is completely different from the hill to the gully below ~

I tend agree more that is may have been a specific unit or branch ~

Note the chipped enamel to the left of the centre on the 'Sun" surface ~

The top image is much clearer Sweep. Jerry is correct it's paint one would think. Insignia were "blackened" prior to deployment to take out the "shine" and reduce reflection.This could be done with paint, carbon or by other means. Age and being buried may have made the paint appear blue.

This set of 61st Battalion insignia show's this blackening. In this case the original insignia were silver and were painted over.
    Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.

Why do you think they are unit specific mate ? Just interesred.

All the best cobber

Dave

I have some badges that were unofficially painted black, not Aussie badges but the same applies I would think, to stop making too much of a target for yourself if you don't need to in the front line.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.   Post your WW2 Australian Insignia.  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

The top image is much clearer Sweep. Jerry is correct it's paint one would think. Insignia were "blackened" prior to deployment to take out the "shine" and reduce reflection.This could be done with paint, carbon or by other means. Age and being buried may have made the paint appear blue.
    The issue is no big deal but after finding two of the same colour or patina I am simply wondering if it was a standard issue or has some simply painted them (?)

As a matter of curiosity I have emailed the Aust WAr Memorials (Curator) for some input ~

A separate suggestion to yours Dave, was that they were associated with Instructors ~

If there is any frustration to be had with this ~ is the fact that I still have yet to find any specific unit or regimental badge !

Page 98 of 111 FirstFirst ... 48 88 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 108 ... LastLast