Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Question for Australian badge collectors.

Article about: Were there cast made cap/collar badges in WW2 or earlier?. Instead of say die stamped. While reading other forums I have been of the impression that cast badges should all be viewed with a s

Default Question for Australian badge collectors.

Were there cast made cap/collar badges in WW2 or earlier?. Instead of say die stamped. While reading other forums I have been of the impression that cast badges should all be viewed with a skeptical eye. Reason I ask is that within my own collection there are a few. Nothing rare in my opinion. A WW2 Australian Medical Corps cap piece and a few others. I should post photos for opinions but do not have camera with me at the moment. Best Jack

Here are 3 badges which appear IMO to be cast as opposed to stamped. To refer back to my question at the start. Is this type of badge construction typical or seen in period pieces? Or are cast badges later and or not original to the period? all opinions and corrections welcomed. Thanks Jack

?

The problem I have with cast badges is that the manufacturers went with the cheapest production option, which is usually stamped. I have some cast badges which I am certain are replicas and there was quite a bit of it going on in the 1970's and 1980's and is given away by the gold-look plating which also adds to the manufacturing cost. I'm no expert on this and others may have better info.

Oz

Thanks Oz, your point about going the lowest cost way of manufacturing is valid. Maybe some others will weigh in.?

Best
    Jack

?

Question for Australian badge collectors.

Here is a pic of my fakes, all cast and gilded/plated.
    Anyone identify the top-right badge?

Oz.

Hi Oz, top right is a Thailand Army Ranger qualification badge. Would surprise me if these are being re-popped as they are somewhat plentiful as originals. Your cast badges do have a shiny gold finish to them. The pieces in my collection that are cast do not appear that shiny and have some age to them. In reading on other forums there is a distinction between cast versus "sand"cast. Meaning there may have been some sand cast pieces in period. However this has not been nailed down for me yet.
    Thanks
    Jack