Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF cap Badge

Article about: Hi, Annoyed from this ads?   Please, I'd like to know if it's a correct WWII RAF cap badge. Thanks in advance

R.R
    ?

Default RAF cap Badge

Hi,

Please, I'd like to know if it's a correct WWII RAF cap badge.

RAF cap Badge

RAF cap Badge

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Ricardo

Looks like a decent brass RAF cap badge, Kings crown design, issued during WWII and upto early 1953 after which the Queens crown surmounted the laurels.

The casting doesnt look very crisp on this one to me looks like a restike but i may be wrong ?

?

Were they wearing Oxy badges in WWII?

Oz.

Not sure of what you mean by Oxy?

This is a standard brass metal cap badge.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by kradman View Post
    The casting doesnt look very crisp on this one to me looks like a restike but i may be wrong ?
    These were die stamped not cast any any that is cast (except locally made items especially in India, but that's another subject) is not right. However, this one looks fine to me. It isn't the best quality but they were made by multiple manufacturers some better than others. The place to look for poor detail indicating re-strikes is on the reverse. If the reverse is as clear as the obverse that is a good sign. Another give away is the colour of the brass. Generally speaking the older the badge the more copper in the brass which gives it a naturally darker colour although this is pretty much a guide. If you compare known WWI, WWII and post war strikes of the same badge you will get the general idea. As I say, not fool proof but helpful. There are very good re-strikes around now but they do tend to look like they were made yesterday! As Lugerlout said this "Kings Crown" version was worn upto 1953 and the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. There is no difference over the whole period so it could be WWII but either way I believe it is OK. I think the reference to "Oxy" badges probably refers to anodised finishes and no they were not in use then but this is not one of those anyway.
    The other thing to note is that this is an OR's (other) ranks badge for personell upto and including Flight Sergeant. The officers badge (Warrant Officer upwards) is completely different.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Sorry Ade, I meant oxidised finish. RAAF badges were usually oxidised finish during the war, I was not sure about RAF.

Oz.

R.R
    ?

Thank you all for the reply , I have another badges I purchased from the same source I'm posting in another thread for review.

Best Regards,

Ricardo