Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RE flaming bomb insignia!

Article about: Hi mates!I recently aquired a Royal Engineers Service Dress jacket.I would like to hear your opinion about the flames at the flaming bomb insignia(with the motto:UBIQUE=everywhere in latin).

Default RE flaming bomb insignia!

Hi mates!I recently aquired a Royal Engineers Service Dress jacket.I would like to hear your opinion about the flames at the flaming bomb insignia(with the motto:UBIQUE=everywhere in latin).The flames are 9 in total!I realized though that the left flame at the first line is leaning to the right.Is this normal?Many Thanks for your time and helpRE flaming bomb insignia!

Yeh 9 is correct for RE, the RA have 7, though there is a less commonly seen earlier version for the RE that has 10, of which I have one in my collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RE flaming bomb insignia!  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Jerry for feedback!Have you ever seen before this pattern?

It looks normal to my eyes, not sure what you think is odd about it. I don't have any RE collars to compare it against except the 10 flame version I showed.
    Regards,

Jerry

OK. I mean that I have seen a RE flaming bomb insignia with the left flame at the first line in a different ''possition''.This is what I mean(this is an Ade's photo from another thread!)RE flaming bomb insignia!

Either a maker or date variation IMHO.
    Regards,

Jerry

I have never studied these to any degree, but due to the long service life of the design there are bound to be many different styles.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I forgot I also have this example on its original cap which was often done during WWII and it is similar to the thread starter, it is maker marked Ludlow London.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RE flaming bomb insignia!   RE flaming bomb insignia!  

Regards,

Jerry

Thank you very much Jerry for this!Really appreciate it!

The officer to whom this belonged was thrown out of the army in 1944 and this type of cap was introduced in autumn 1943 so the date is spot on for WWII issue. Also the makers changed their name from Ludski in the 30's and stopped making army badges in the 50's.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast