Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rosette dates

Article about: Any one have any idea how long rosettes were used in the us army for mules and horses? Most I hear was during WW1 but was wondering if they were used shortly after? There were 2 types used,

?

Default Rosette dates

Any one have any idea how long rosettes were used in the us army for mules and horses? Most I hear was during WW1 but was wondering if they were used shortly after? There were 2 types used, long letters and short.Attachment 561456Attachment 561457 Any idea which one is older or was used during a different time period?

?

Attachment 561458American eagle types were also used but unsure of time period.

Mules were,indeed, used after WWI. In fact, they were in use through WWII as well, since it was found that they could navigate some terrains that jeeps and tanks could not, such as in Northern Italy and Burma. Believe it or not, there is actually a museum and website dedicated to the Mule-it has much interesting information about the military and the mules(the US Army Officially deactivated the last 2 Mule units on February 15, 1957 in Ft Carson, Colorado).
    History of the Mule
    As for the 2 rosettes, I would judge the thin lettered disk as being the oldest-being anywhere from just post Civil War era and through the Indian Wars and Spanish American times.. Flat lettering did not generally get used until WWI.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Interesting to know, thanks. Forgot mules were used in the pacific theater also. Anything on the eagle rosette?

The eagle rosette you've got is from 1902 or after, from my understanding. The eagle is the Great Seal and this was adopted in 1902, so these must date from 1902 to before WWI.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks. I have both the eagle style and the thin lettered. Interesting collection.