Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Navy SSBM Continuous At Sea Deployment (CASD) patrol pin

Article about: Here's something I had not seen before so I thought it might be of interest; I have just attended a dinner at HMS Raleigh in Plymouth where my son has been on a trade qualification course. W

Default Royal Navy SSBM Continuous At Sea Deployment (CASD) patrol pin

Here's something I had not seen before so I thought it might be of interest;

I have just attended a dinner at HMS Raleigh in Plymouth where my son has been on a trade qualification course.

Whilst speaking with the instructional staff I noticed some of the submariners amongst them wearing an additional badge beneath their "Dolphins" so being the typical "militaria magpie" I just had to ask.

After a willing explanation by a Chief Petty Officer he asked about my interest and when I told him I was such a "magpie" he promptly removed said pin from his own uniform and generously handed it to me!

It is the Submarine Nuclear deterrent patrol badge which has been awarded in the lower "Pewter" grade for one patrol and in "Gold" for completion of 20 patrols. However, this "Silver" grade was introduced this year following 50 yrs (Apr 1969 - Apr 2019) of the continuous at sea deployment of the RN Nuclear Deterrent submarines and it marks ten patrols.

It is very similar to the US equivalent which is issued in silver with holes to attach stars for further patrols (silver star = one patrol and gold star = 5 patrols) and is replaced by the Gold grade after twenty patrols.

The British badge just bears the motto "Always Ready".

The design represents a Vanguard Class nuclear submarine with a Trident SSBM and electron rings (or are they neutrons??) superimposed.

The badge is a secondary qualification and is worn directly below the submarine crewmans badge (Dolphins).

The makers mark F&S stands for Firmin and Sons who are lomg standing insignia makers to the British Military.

I hope this is of interest.

Regards

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Navy SSBM Continuous At Sea Deployment (CASD) patrol pin   Royal Navy SSBM Continuous At Sea Deployment (CASD) patrol pin  

Royal Navy SSBM Continuous At Sea Deployment (CASD) patrol pin   Royal Navy SSBM Continuous At Sea Deployment (CASD) patrol pin  

Last edited by Watchdog; 07-31-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

That's a rather nice badge. Thank you for the info. Shows it can pay to ask.