Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Royal Navy White ensign

Article about: Got this from a site I am working on where they are demolishing a number of sheds and other outbuildings in advance of the excavations. This was in one of the buildings, marked white ensign

Default Royal Navy White ensign

Got this from a site I am working on where they are demolishing a number of sheds and other outbuildings in advance of the excavations. This was in one of the buildings, marked white ensign and with some other ink stamps I have yet to decipher. It is door sized, 2 yards in imperial. It has a few holes in it, is very grubby and has a few spots of white paint on it, but not too bad for free. There was also a pair of WWI bino's, French made civilian Galileon type with WD arrow markings and a S4 code for their grade. I have yet to take some pics of these but I will later.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Navy White ensign   Royal Navy White ensign  

Royal Navy White ensign   Royal Navy White ensign  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Nice find Jerry and looks to have some age to it from the way its made

Quote by kradman View Post
    Nice find Jerry and looks to have some age to it from the way its made
    Certainly not modern, but I find these very hard to date. It is the printed type rather than the multi piece construction, with the correct halyard end rope and bronze fittings and also has two reinforcing eyelets. Hopefully someone in the know will voice that information later.
    Regards,

Jerry

mpw
    ?

A good rescue! And a nice go with for the cap you recently acquired. A navy theme developing perhaps?

Rgds Mark.

Quote by mpw View Post
    A good rescue! And a nice go with for the cap you recently acquired. A navy theme developing perhaps?

Rgds Mark.
    More a desire to add a representative cap from the services to my collection, but I was lucky to find this flag and to be able to save it.
    Regards,

Jerry

If it was made with horizontal stripes visible, it's pre-ww2, I think. Just look at it, you will see what I mean if there are stripes.

Quote by amiklic1 View Post
    If it was made with horizontal stripes visible, it's pre-ww2, I think. Just look at it, you will see what I mean if there are stripes.
    They are very obvious when you know to look for them, thanks very much for the information.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Navy White ensign  
    Regards,

Jerry

Royal Navy White ensignHuh, I wrote the wrong thing. If there are those stripes, the flag is made before '45, not only pre-ww2.

That's what I found out while studying these ensigns.

Here is mine:

Quote by amiklic1 View Post
    Royal Navy White ensignHuh, I wrote the wrong thing. If there are those stripes, the flag is made before '45, not only pre-ww2.

That's what I found out while studying these ensigns.

Here is mine:
    Still good to know that it is pre 1945. Do you know when this version with the "stripes" came into use?
    Regards,

Jerry

The WWI binos also found on the site, French made civilian type impressed for service with WD arrow marks and S4 grade code.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Navy White ensign   Royal Navy White ensign  

Royal Navy White ensign   Royal Navy White ensign  

Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast