Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RWF (Royal Welsh Fusiliers) or is it?

Article about: Good afternoon gents, I have a need to consult as glengarry badges (which this would nominally be) are a little "off axis" for me. I was sifting my box of odds and ends aka "T

Default RWF (Royal Welsh Fusiliers) or is it?

Good afternoon gents,

I have a need to consult as glengarry badges (which this would nominally be) are a little "off axis" for me.

I was sifting my box of odds and ends aka "The drawer of shame" which we all have right? and turned this one up which I think came with a bunch of other badges which were the real focus of my attention.

However, I have never really been sure about this one. The National Army Museum has a brass version listed as a glengarry badge but apart from ebay copies (fairly abundant) I have only ever seen the Prince of Wales feathers design.

This one is in white metal and looks very good in hand. It is well made and does not display the hideous poor stike characteristics on the rear as seen in the re-strikes sold in museum shops.

I am not really hopefull but don't want to consign this one to the rubbish box without fully researching it.

Any information is gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Mark

RWF (Royal Welsh Fusiliers) or is it?RWF (Royal Welsh Fusiliers) or is it?

PS Sorry about the ropey pics. I took them in natural light but they came out a bit blue for some reason. Must be a digital thing!

PPS It is 7cm in length.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-05-2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: PPS
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

It is a copy/fake. The originals have serif's, is there should be tail on the two. Originals are few and are in gilding metal, though a militia battalion version in white metal existed, but this is not one.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

If they don't have this feature they are fakes/copies. From K&K vol 1. It is usually the 2's that have this missing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RWF (Royal Welsh Fusiliers) or is it?  
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, that's what I thought but wanted to make sure before I do a dance on it!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    If they don't have this feature they are fakes/copies. From K&K vol 1. It is usually the 2's that have this missing.
    Yep, I have K&K but it was written a while back with no updstes that I know of so felt I should at least ast the question

Regards

Mark

The badges of the ref are something I have studied, I only used k&k as it wad handy and it is in need of replacing with a newer reference work.
    Regards,

Jerry