Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Trying to identify this pin

Article about: Please help me identify this pin. I have searched for hours here and many other places and cannot find any like it. It was in the belongings of a World War II hero that my family adopted as

jaybo198
    ?

Question Trying to identify this pin

Please help me identify this pin. I have searched for hours here and many other places and cannot find any like it. It was in the belongings of a World War II hero that my family adopted as a Grandfather several years ago, as he had no family. He has now passed away. He was never very vocal about the war, and in going through his belongings, we have come to realize what a true hero he and those like him were. Thank you for your time.

Trying to identify this pin

Default Re: Trying to identify this pin

I am not able to see the photographs,Jay, and without them, it is pretty much impossible to help.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Ah! There it is! It is not a military pin, but looks to be a WWII-era "friendship pin" kind of thing to show unity between the Allies-Russia,England, The US and Free France.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi and welcome to the forum.

William is correct. A patriotic item.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

jaybo198
    ?

Is that what the double cross on the French flag is? A symbol for Free France? Thank you so much!!

Correct, the Cross of Lorraine, used by Free French Forces under General Degaulle.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I see why this was a hard one for you to locate on the web. Just out of curiosity are there any markings/writing on the back of pin? and any idea what branch of service he was in and if he served after the war ended, perhaps on occupation duty in Europe? I wonder if this could be an occupation pin of a sort (non-military issue) since the 4 flags shown here were also the 4 countries that comprised the occupation forces of post war Germany. I also think its great of you and your family to have adopted this vet. into your family. I've seen too many post-war vets with no family or friends to confide in and trust and its saddening. So big thanks to you and your family!
    Last edited by Rigormortis; 07-12-2012 at 09:19 AM.