Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

U. S. Marine Corp Raider Patch for review!

Article about: I picked this patch up today at the Allentown, PA show. I didn't get a great deal on it... More like the low end of the spectrum of what they normally go for. Regardless, I am excited to hav

Default U. S. Marine Corp Raider Patch for review!

I picked this patch up today at the Allentown, PA show. I didn't get a great deal on it... More like the low end of the spectrum of what they normally go for.

Regardless, I am excited to have this patch and it is something that will only become more rare and desirable as time goes on!

I'm confident that it is authentic, but as always I welcome all comments!

U. S. Marine Corp Raider Patch for review!U. S. Marine Corp Raider Patch for review!
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 05-13-2013 at 04:37 AM.

Default Re: U. S. Marine Corp Raider Patch for review!

It turns out that the above posted patch is a fake! It's known as the "runny nose" variant and is typified by the white edge all around the patch (mine glowed slightly on the edge), triangle tooth gap (looks like the nose is dripping) as well as lack of detail in general of the jaw/ cheeks. These were sold by Steve Johnson when he still owned Worldwide Militaria. Luckily, I was able to get a refund on this patch.

With that money, I turned around and bought this patch from Donna Wosk:
    U. S. Marine Corp Raider Patch for review!U. S. Marine Corp Raider Patch for review!U. S. Marine Corp Raider Patch for review!

Harry Wosk (Donna's father) owned a Navy supply depot in San Diego, California that outfitted navy personnel before they went overseas. Their depot closed down in 1947, so anything you get from the Wosk hoard is guaranteed original/ unissued.

Here is my whole USMC insignia grouping:

?

Nice

?

Very cool! Me and my roommate were playing Call of Duty: World at War at this patch is worn by the character in the first level. Nice pick up!

Here is a marine patch i picked up from a VFW post,a few years ago.I guess there are many variant's of this patch as well,notice the round head and the white specks in the eyes..on the reverse much snow and the original tag the VFW places on all their patches......hope to see other patches.....Dave H
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U. S. Marine Corp Raider Patch for review!   U. S. Marine Corp Raider Patch for review!  

Hi Dave,

Your patch is known as the "Casper", I believe. It's definitely one of the more desirable variants... Probably second to the patches made in Australia/ in theater.

Joe,
    Thanks for the info ,the skull does resemble Casper the friendly ghost.....Dave H

?

I have to give your patch collection a Big SEMPER FI Joe!!!
    We have a Marine Raider vet that lives here in Yuma. He displays his uniform and patch proudly at our local gun show.
    I'll see if I can get a picture of him next show.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I have to give your patch collection a Big SEMPER FI Joe!!!
    We have a Marine Raider vet that lives here in Yuma. He displays his uniform and patch proudly at our local gun show.
    I'll see if I can get a picture of him next show.
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks, Phil! I'd love to see his uniform.

A buddy of mine who is a current marine has his grandfather uniforms (who was also a marine). He has fond memories of his grandpa wearing his HBT shirt to do work on the car, and he thinks he also has his camo jump suit!