MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknowm uniform button at RAF Halifax crashsite

Article about: I found this button at a crash site of a RAF Halifax, any idea were it belongs to?

Default Unknowm uniform button at RAF Halifax crashsite

I found this button at a crash site of a RAF Halifax, any idea were it belongs to?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknowm uniform button at RAF Halifax crashsite  
    Attached Images Attached Images Unknowm uniform button at RAF Halifax crashsite 

I don't know an awful lot about Military buttons but that looks a lot older than anything the RAF have ever come out with

The only button i can find with a crown and portcullis is a Victorian customs button.

One of the Westminster Yeomanry T.A. type regiments?? I think there were several and Dragoons too.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I think Ned is on the right track.

I am certain I have seen this design before, but I cannot bring it to mind. Certainly not RAF related.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Looks Victorian, but unless it is for a Militia unit or dates to before 1855 it is not British army according to the book on British army buttons 1855-2000 by Howard Ripley. It might be Police or Customs as Gunny suggested.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

the only other emblem with a crowned portcullis i can think of is the "Somerset Herald of Arms in Ordinary"
    Somerset Herald - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

completly pointless fact i know, but Im just so proud of myself for remembering something i needed to share my amazement.... next step is to remember something relevant.

I'm going for the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars, a yeomanry regiment as I mooted earlier due to the garter. The button could have been a good luck charm for one of the crew, or perhaps was already in the ground before the crash?

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I think Ned got it!.....

Doh, just found it and was going to post. Well done Ned.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast