Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown Cloth Div Sign - Australian?

Article about: I picked this up with a few cloth bits. I am told it is Australian but I cannot find any reference for it. Anyone any ideas? It measures 7.3cms x 4.5cms. Thanks

XIII
    ?

Default Unknown Cloth Div Sign - Australian?

I picked this up with a few cloth bits. I am told it is Australian but I cannot find any reference for it. Anyone any ideas? It measures 7.3cms x 4.5cms. Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Cloth Div Sign - Australian?  

In the US Army, the black diamond insignia is for the 101st Aviation Combat Brigade and is still in use...
    cheers, Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images Unknown Cloth Div Sign - Australian? 

?

This looks like it is British or Australian attached to the backing like it is definitely not US

Other US units as well used this insignia. One being the subdued patch for the 5th Infantry Division. This one looks like it could have been field made...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I don't think it's Australian.....the diamond shape is not the correct type for a WW1 colour patch, as well an Australian WW2 colour patch would normally have a grey border for 2nd AIF.....diamond shapes were used to denote 2nd division in the colour patch system, the diamond was more like a square on an angle shape.
    Having said that, there were many shapes of colour patches, if I had my colour patch chart I could be more certain

?

Unknown Cloth Div Sign - Australian?

Here's your basic colour patch shapes

?

I agree with AMTG. This patch is not Australian.

XIII
    ?

Thanks to all of the replies so far. In my opinion it is definitely not US, the colours are very similar to the Australian patches, and I was told that it was Australian from North Africa. For the record the inner diamond is dark blue not black on green and it has been on a uniform. Could it be NZ Or SA? Grasping at straws but I would love to know its origin, thanks again.

The backing colour is incorrect for WW2 Australian AIF Formation patchs. Should be grey (or varients of,sometimes light blue depending on the availability of grey felt). The Australian ground forces in NA were AIF so not an AIF patch due to the backing IMO.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Dave

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Other US units as well used this insignia. One being the subdued patch for the 5th Infantry Division. This one looks like it could have been field made...

The 5th ID's diamond is red.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast