Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual Reverse Horn Durham Light Infantry Cap Badge

Article about: Hi all, i have a durham light infantry badge, however it is unlike other durham badges, it is in gold gilt and has a reserve horn facing the right rather than the usual left. I initially tho

Default Unusual Reverse Horn Durham Light Infantry Cap Badge

Hi all, i have a durham light infantry badge, however it is unlike other durham badges, it is in gold gilt and has a reverse horn facing the right rather than the usual left. I initially though it was a officers collar dog however it has a cap badge slider to the rear. Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Harry

Unusual Reverse Horn Durham Light Infantry Cap BadgeUnusual Reverse Horn Durham Light Infantry Cap Badge

Hi Harry,

That to my eyes is certainly a (rough) cast piece and British made badges such as this were never cast but die stamped and as you know the stamped badge was nickle apart from the WWI economy brass stamping (which was exactly like the nickle version only made in less valuable metal). However, units serving overseas in for example India sometimes made up stores shortfalls by having badges made locally (as well as those sold in canteens etc by sutlers) so maybe this is such an item athough it looks a bit bright to be over 70 years old. As for the bugle facing the wrong way this might be explained by the wrong master such as a collar badge from the wrong side or other piece of insignia. I don't think it looks like gilt and would think the quality is too low anyway for guilding to be considered. Did you pay anything for it?

Regards

Mark
    PS The solder residue at each end of the reverse side of the horn makes me wonder if it has been modified by removing something. Perhaps lugs or other fasteners before adding the slider / shank?

Hi mark, thanks for the reply, the badge looks to be a layer of gilt over brass, although the poorer quality to the rear did raise my suspicion. The attachment being changed makes a lot of sense with the solder residue. It cost me nothing it was given to me by a friend.

Cheers

Harry

Quote by Harry Davey View Post
    Hi mark, thanks for the reply, the badge looks to be a layer of gilt over brass, although the poorer quality to the rear did raise my suspicion. The attachment being changed makes a lot of sense with the solder residue. It cost me nothing it was given to me by a friend.

Cheers

Harry
    Hmm, all things considered then, maybe this is something other than a cap badge. Perhaps a decorative fixture off some kind of display or commemorative item and it has been converted to the style of a cap badge for whatever reason? Whatever the source it surely couldn't be an attempt to deceive anyone who might know the bugle should be the other way round!

A curious item for all that. Let us know if you find out where it came from.

Regards

Mark
    PS Is it the right size for a cap badge?

I think Mark has covered all angles. It looks typical of badges cast in India, always very poor looking on the reverse.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.