Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

US 1st Cav patch.

Article about: I am sharing this patch for the 1st Cavalry Division. It has an od green border, which o believe makes it post-war. Thanks for looking!

Default US 1st Cav patch.

I am sharing this patch for the 1st Cavalry Division. It has an od green border, which I believe makes it post-war.
    Thanks for looking!
    US 1st Cav patch.
    US 1st Cav patch.
    Last edited by carpediem; 03-05-2018 at 01:51 AM.

Nope, definitely WWII era. I believe you're thinking of the dark forest green border which h is about 1958 vintage.

Thanks Eagle mtn! That will help me get my latest patch acquisitions in their proper displays. I appreciate the help!

?

Great patch. If it was a greenback it would be better. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Thanks Rich! If I see one next time, I will grab it!
    BTW, the GT 500 is really nice, but a friend of mine has a Boss 429 , 1970 I believe, and it isn't too shabby either! I like them all, but prefer up to either 69 or 70 when they moved the headlights.

Hi C

One of the difficulties of separating WWII-1955 era patches , is that the same schiffli embroidery machines , original tape ,people ie designers , machine operators etc used the same rayon and medium twill.
    Hence you will see your 1st Cav with white return thread backing with OD border and think it is WWII era but unless you get it out of a dated manufacturers box we assume it is WWII.

I went thru my WWII era Armoured SSI and culled out half of them because I wasn't satisfied they were WWII era and set about in the end getting Green backs and the odd heavy white back to replace them!
    Here is my one for comparison note you will se slight grey around the edge thats not the edge but blurred from cutting out the back ground.

I have several WWII era 1st Cav , this one I put a unauthorized Korea tab above (Korean war service) -some will say WWII others post War to me its WWII era based on the khaki twill , its cut back to the edge and it has a very narrow edging around the border-which , for some reason only WWII era patches have .

Phill

Attachment 1174110

Attachment 1174111

Thanks much Phill! Very informative post and helps me to key in on the features to watch for. I am by no means heartbroken that they may be of Korean vintage, as I have a place for those as well. Even up to and including modern production. Thanks for your help Phill!

Great info once again Phill.. Your knowledge of US Insignia is wonderful and is greatly appreciated..

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Great info once again Phill.. Your knowledge of US Insignia is wonderful and is greatly appreciated..

Smitty
    I fully agree with this statement!

Thanks Smitty

It does get tricky even for me and harder for the likes of Carpediem.

The most important point for collectors , don't pull the trigger on $$$ patches without putting on the forum for discussion at least we might be able to help and save collectors $$$.

Phill