Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Army Cap and Shako Plates from 1812 through 1842

Article about: The following pictures of frames contain Shako and Cap Plates worn by the US Army and Militia between 1812 and 1842. During the period the Infantry wore silvered brass insignia while the art

Default US Army Cap and Shako Plates from 1812 through 1842

The following pictures of frames contain Shako and Cap Plates worn by the US Army and Militia between 1812 and 1842. During the period the Infantry wore silvered brass insignia while the artillery wore yellow brass.

The first frame contains a M-1812 Infantry Shako Plate that I dug near Ft. Mims, Alabama. Ft. Mims was completely destroyed by the Red Stick Indians and British soldiers on 30 August 1813. The entire fort (soldiers, women and children) was wiped out with no survivors. It was this battle that prompted General Andrew Jackson to march South from Tenn to stomp the snot out of the Red Stick Indians at the battle of Horse Shoe Bend ending the Creek wars. The plate measures 2 3/4" X 3 1/2". This plate is in excellent condition for a thin piece of silvered brass that lay in the ground for 190 plus years.

The second frame contains M-1821 Infantry (Silver) and Artillery (Yellow Brass) cap plates (Eagles). The eagles measure 2" from tail to beak and 3" between wing tips.

The third frame contains a US Militia M-1836 Infantry Eagle Shako Plate and two Artillery Shako side buttons that date from 1825 to 1842. The Infantry Eagle measures 2 1/2" X 5" and the side buttons are 1 1/2" in Diameter.

These early US Army Cap and Shako plates are getting extremely scarce.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army Cap and Shako Plates from 1812 through 1842   US Army Cap and Shako Plates from 1812 through 1842  

US Army Cap and Shako Plates from 1812 through 1842   US Army Cap and Shako Plates from 1812 through 1842  

Attached Images Attached Images US Army Cap and Shako Plates from 1812 through 1842 

Default Re: US Army Cap and Shako Plates from 1812 through 1842

Major,

Although this is not my area of collecting, I still can appreciate these early pieces of American history. Thank you for taking the time to post them here. It is always a privilege to see such items for me, as I know that there is no obligation to post on the part of the care-taker.

Historical pieces like these seem to be so detached from collectors, but will always be significant in the eyes of historians/conservators...although the number of conservators seems do be disproportionately lower these days than collectors.

As time passes, pieces like these seem to slip ever-further into obscurity...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Very intresting!
    Great to see.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Thumbs up Re: US Army Cap and Shako Plates from 1812 through 1842

Very Nice.
    Thanks You

jh92
    ?

Wow you have some great pieces. Like Steve I am not a collector, but these are something to appreciate!

Quote by jh92 View Post
    Wow you have some great pieces. Like Steve I am not a collector, but these are something to appreciate!
    jh92,
    Thanks, your right this is an area that if at best foreign to most US military collectors. These early cap plates are very scarce and originals are not often found. Check out the posting I have in the helmets section on page 2. 1832 Infantry officers Shako. You may find that of some interest as well.
    Terry