Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Us navy rating badges

Article about: Here's some bullion examples of pre 41 Rating Badges This is on a uniform and it is named and dated 1911. Yeoman (1911) Commissary Steward Electrician's Mate Gunner's Mate Machinist's Mate M

Quote by derwood58 View Post
    What rating is the 1st.class patch,2nd.picture,crossed hatchets?..Fireman? the one i saw was titled as a 43rd.NCB WW2 carpenters mate,I know it was not a ww2 carpenters mate rate as my dad was 39th.NCB,Saipan ww2.3rd.class carpenters mate(square&plumbob)..Thank you!
    Yes this is a earlier version of the carpenter's mate, but there were other job titles listed under this mark such as painter ect... This rating goes back to the 1880's

Default THIS IS A ww2 "CAPENTERS MATE" 43ncb...iT IS NOT A...

This is not a carpenters mate rate,NOT WW2 that is,It says it is...there is a WW2 round SEABEE patch(NCB) IN PICTURE...This image is for comparison thats all! no malice intended anywhere...HH ALL!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Us navy rating badges  

Quote by derwood58 View Post
    This is not a carpenters mate rate,NOT WW2 that is,It says it is...there is a WW2 round SEABEE patch(NCB) IN PICTURE...This image is for comparison thats all! no malice intended anywhere...HH ALL!!!
    The two carpenters striker are for seaman(non petty officer) Po3 is a capenter rate,looks ww2 but could be post war. I think this rate was discontinue in 1948.

Quote by navycollector View Post
    The MO Machinist's cpo looks ww2 but was worn until 1948. The two Pharmacist's rate uniforms look ww2 also and were worn until 1948. In 1948 the pharmacist mark was changed. In 1948 all rating badges were worn on the left sleeve and the eagle faces to the wearer front. Pre ww2 all the eagles heads face to our right, there left. In ww2 there were a few rating badges that were worn on the right sleeve like they were prior. Those eagle still face to the wearer left of our right and the left arm rates now face the oppisite direction so they face to the wearer front. I think I mention the rating badges that were worn on the right sleeve earlier in this thread. Then like I mention above in 1948 all rates were worn on the left arm and all face the same direction, which would be to the wearer front.
    I hope I am not confusing you more.

Jason
    Ok thanks very much for clarifying this for me. I think you have done an excellent job of presenting the facts, its just me who is finding it hard to follow. I am grateful for your help.

Quote by navycollector View Post
    The two carpenters striker are for seaman(non petty officer) Po3 is a capenter rate,looks ww2 but could be post war. I think this rate was discontinue in 1948.
    My dad was in the 39th.NCB 3rd.class po,Carpenters mate his patch was a SQUARE&PLUMBOB and his striker patch had CB on them...This was WW2. When i was in navy(1975-80) the crossed axes were firemans rate image..a SNIPE,boiler guy that was a FIREMAN...Hmm..very interesting!!!

Hey Jason
    Thinking back to my Boot Camp days
    Was wondering if you have any Bootcamp crows.
    While they didn't have a rate insignia I remember them to be much smaller than normal badges

Here is a display I did. The S with knot is SAMPSON NAVAL TRAINING CENTER INSIGNIA
    (IT IS BELIEVE THIS INSIGNIA WAS USED TO DESIGNATE CLASS LEADERS AT SAMPSON NAVAL TRAINING CENTER DURING 1944-1945)
    There are boot camp rates from ww1-1960's. I post most of them on Page 3, post #29 of this thread

Us navy rating badges

Jason

Thanks for the responce
    I went to Boot Camp in 1966, don't think the crows had a rating, have to go back and look at some pictures

Quote by TicoTiger14 View Post
    Thanks for the responce
    I went to Boot Camp in 1966, don't think the crows had a rating, have to go back and look at some pictures
    I think they worn them into the 70's. These were for petty officers.

Jason

I stand corrected, I went and looked at some pictures and our boot camp crows had the square knot rating insignia on them

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast