Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Navy; 'Ruptured Duck'

Article about: Guys, I've never had one of these on a navy uniform, but came across a string. These I believe are WWII issue. Best, Hal

Hal
    ?

Default US Navy; 'Ruptured Duck'

Guys, I've never had one of these on a navy uniform, but came across a string. These I believe are WWII issue. Best, Hal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Navy; 'Ruptured Duck'   US Navy; 'Ruptured Duck'  

Default Re: US Navy; 'Ruptured Duck'

I have one of the single ones w/ dark grn background. I don't know much about it though. I guess I never gave it much thought. I'll have to look it up.

I have no cloth versions, but have about 20 of the little gilt metal & a couple of the silver buttonhole versions

I guess they aren't very popular or collectible?

Quote by Hal View Post
    Guys, I've never had one of these on a navy uniform, but came across a string. These I believe are WWII issue. Best, Hal
    Hal,
    I thought I had a navy jumper with the ruptured duck so dug through the closet and there she was. Attached are pic of the jumper with navy blue patch.
    Terry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Navy; 'Ruptured Duck'   US Navy; 'Ruptured Duck'  

I haven't yet seen this type, with the yellow border stiching. Possibly after this type was cut from the roll they were folded over when sewn onto the uniform. All of the cloth varieties I have seen so far had finished edges. I'm certain that there are as many varieties, qualities in cloth and finish among these versions as there are with the metal pins. Should those shown are reproductions, which I cannot say either way, I cannot fathom someone or company doing so when considering the availability of genuine ones.

Here is an unusual version of WWII vintage that I recently added to my Ruptured Duck collection.

I never realized that any honorable discharged veteran, from I believe the date of its institution, can wear the Ruptured Duck pin on civilian clothing. This seems to be a really interesting area with many variations of not only in the design but in the attaching devices. Also, there are other items beside the normal uniform patches, I came across a gold tie clasp, a brass belt buckle and the following patch.

This patch (oversized blazer jacket patch was not made to wear on a uniform) and I don't believe that it's a copy or replica as it dates from WWII period. Made from non-synthetic thread, embroidered on a white felt base with a cut edge border. It shows honest age, but is still in very good condition and measures approximately 5 1/2 x 3 3/4 inches, depending on it's condition, mint or having been sewn and possibly lanundered.

The interest in these have increased in recent months as they are easily found, have many varieties and are very reasonably priced considering today's market when compared to other military pins and patches and it is my belief that these, both pin a cloth versions have not yet succumbed to the way of reproductions.
    Attached Images Attached Images US Navy; 'Ruptured Duck'  US Navy; 'Ruptured Duck' 
    Last edited by Richard Kimmel; 03-12-2010 at 03:57 PM.