Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US pilot wings fake?

Article about: Hi guys trying before i buy, are these genuine, flat backed and marked 925, unable to see any maker unless it appears once cleaned up, thanks for any help.

Default US pilot wings fake?

Hi guys trying before i buy, are these genuine, flat backed and marked 925, unable to see any maker unless it appears once cleaned up, thanks for any help.

US pilot wings fake?
    US pilot wings fake?

I think you are wise to ask.

I am not an expert in these though I have a few in my collection but I don't like these. To me the quality is nowhere near what I would expect and they look rather rough. They were made by quite a few makers including some in the UK like Gaunts of London but the definition was always much better. There were also others produced in theatre such as German Occupation but I feel the quality is still not there with this set. Many were not maker marked but these tended to be marked Sterling rather than 925 although I think I have seen 925 markings.

I am sure one of our resident experts will be along shortly to give chapter and verse but if you need an answer now I would say leave this one. Even if it is adjudged by an expert to be authentic I still wouldn't want it in my collection as there are plenty of far nicer examples out there.

I hope this helps

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you.

Moderator Steve, (Walkwolf), has quite a collection of these. If he does not see this thread, maybe send him a PM pointing him this way.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I don't like the look of these at all and would pass on them.

I have owned Brit made wings in the past and the quality was superb.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Are they cheap? Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

What do these wings measure? They may be sweetheart wings..
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by rra227 View Post
    Are they cheap? Rich A. in Pa.
    £20, but i have gone off the idea

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    What do these wings measure? They may be sweetheart wings..
    Not sure bud but they were listed as ww2 pilot wings.

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    £20, but i have gone off the idea

There's your answer from the horses mouth!

That is ridiculously cheap if this was a genuine piece. Of course it is not impossible that one might encounter a seller who was only asking a low price for many different reasons but one would recognise the situation for sure and I very much doubt that it would be other than a chance personal encounter. Anybody openly selling this with a specific designation would surely know what he was selling.

You have dodged a bullet here so well done for that.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast