Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

USAAF/USAF bombardier wing padded silk badge

Article about: Sorry to ask, but US badges are not really my thing and my knowledge is very lacking in the area. could anyone tell me anything about this bombardier wing? Era, what uniform is it for, etc.

Default USAAF/USAF bombardier wing padded silk badge

Sorry to ask, but US badges are not really my thing and my knowledge is very lacking in the area.
    could anyone tell me anything about this bombardier wing?
    Era, what uniform is it for, etc.
    i've tried looking panning through google images to try find anything similar but to no avail.

many thanks for your time
    Ed

USAAF/USAF bombardier wing  padded silk badgeUSAAF/USAF bombardier wing  padded silk badgeUSAAF/USAF bombardier wing  padded silk badge

?

With the blue background it is for a combat aircraft bombardier.
    The wings with blue backgrounds are hard to find.
    Normally used by the 8th Army Air Force.

One that I have not seen before..........
    Regards,

Steve.

thankyou guys, and thankyou steveR. your pointer has led me to find this:

Combat Flight Patch
    A rectangular patch of ultramarine blue cloth or other suitable material has been authorized as a background for the aviation badge to identify Air Forces personnel outside continental United States who are currently assigned to combat flight duty in a combat area. Qualified to wear the patch are personnel who hold effective aeronautical ratings or who are authorized to wear the aviation badge of air crew member. The patch is not a decoration or device designed for permanent wear on a uniform. When the individual ceases to serve on combat flight duty or when leaves the combat area or theater to which assigned, the patch will be removed.

In April 1943 “Cross Country” department in Air Force: Official Journal of the U.S. Army Air Forces. Pg. 3.

I also found a pic of a few more english made versions on another forum:
    USAAF/USAF bombardier wing  padded silk badge

?

Quote by bananamafia View Post
    thankyou guys, and thankyou steveR. your pointer has led me to find this:

Combat Flight Patch
    A rectangular patch of ultramarine blue cloth or other suitable material has been authorized as a background for the aviation badge to identify Air Forces personnel outside continental United States who are currently assigned to combat flight duty in a combat area. Qualified to wear the patch are personnel who hold effective aeronautical ratings or who are authorized to wear the aviation badge of air crew member. The patch is not a decoration or device designed for permanent wear on a uniform. When the individual ceases to serve on combat flight duty or when leaves the combat area or theater to which assigned, the patch will be removed.

In April 1943 “Cross Country” department in Air Force: Official Journal of the U.S. Army Air Forces. Pg. 3.

I also found a pic of a few more english made versions on another forum:
    USAAF/USAF bombardier wing  padded silk badge
    Sometimes you will find a tunic with a blue square sewn on the chest and silver wings attached to it.
    Like I said the Brit embroidered wings on blue are highly desirable. Some times you find them in bullion too.
    Great find friend.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Sometimes you will find a tunic with a blue square sewn on the chest and silver wings attached to it.
    Like I said the Brit embroidered wings on blue are highly desirable. Some times you find them in bullion too.
    Great find friend.
    Thankyou for you help!

?

Nice one really nice Brit made