Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

what era is this RA flaming Grenade?

Article about: Could anyone tell me what age this RA (7 flamed) grenade badge is? kind regards Ed

Default what era is this RA flaming Grenade?

Could anyone tell me what age this RA (7 flamed) grenade badge is?
    kind regards
    Ed
    what era is this RA flaming Grenade?what era is this RA flaming Grenade?what era is this RA flaming Grenade?

Would it be off a WW2 era FS cap? I'm sure Jerry or someone with more knowledge than me will be along shortly. Cheers.

my thought too.

An arm badge I would suggest and perhaps WWI, though variationswere also worn inter wars and WWII. It is/was worn above rank chevrons as part of the rank insignia in the same way the RA wore the gun badge above their senior NCO's stripes. It is perhaps for mortar qualified NCO is it was coloured, plain versions are RE rank insignia I think. The later versions might have a different meaning. This is not really my area and the books I have are not the clearest on the subject.

Grenade insignia Sgt 7th Ox & Bucks combination ID - Insignia (Incl. Unit Patches, Wound Stripes & Chevrons) - Great War Forum
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Lots of similar insignia on the bay, though more modern versions but much the same I think.

2WW Vintage Pair OF Royal Engineers Pioneer Sergeants Patches | eBay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture what era is this RA flaming Grenade?  
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    An arm badge I would suggest and perhaps WWI, though variationswere also worn inter wars and WWII. It is/was worn above rank chevrons as part of the rank insignia in the same way the RA wore the gun badge above their senior NCO's stripes.
    Many thanks Jerry and a good link. It does appear to be a RE NCO and WO arm badge (worn above the arm chevrons).

Does the Construction look ok to be WW1?
    It wouldnt surprise me, judging by the other items that came with it - Trench art etc.

It appears early and is quite likely to be WWI in date of manufacture.
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks guys!