Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

What have I got?

Article about: I have recieved this from another estate of a WWII US Army vet. It is one sided canvas with holes in the end for mounting on a vehicle? I think. It has an SS transportation stamp on the back

Default What have I got?

I have recieved this from another estate of a WWII US Army vet.
    It is one sided canvas with holes in the end for mounting on a vehicle? I think.
    It has an SS transportation stamp on the back.
    This is what I have found from my limited research so far.
    It is an aerial flag for vehicles so they won't be bombed by there own military?
    Beyond that I don't know. So I am asking you experts about this.
    It is orginal ( I think) as the widow of the guy said "he brought this back from the War"
    It looks of the period and has age too it. It has a small burn hole in it. Maybe from shapnel? The SS What have I got?What have I got?What have I got?stamp is faded and looks of the stated period. The photos are not that good as my camera is of low quality.
    Can anyone help me.
    Thanks,
    John

Default Re: What have I got?

Likely not a vehicle flag as there are no grommets (?) and I expect these were not
    the 'Kriegsflagge' variety, from what I've seen. It appears to be cut down
    possibly, with no sewn edges. Hard to tell - the flash has washed out
    much of the detail.

I have reservations/doubts about SS stamps in general.........
    Regards,

Steve.

It appears to be a cut down Kriegsmarine battle flag, original or not I don't know. Was this flag made in a one sided version?

That stamp consist of an SS eagle over top a pair of SS runes, and then what looks like an SS skull. That leads me to believe this thing is Fourth Reich...

The SS Stamp has the eagle and SS runes. with a transportation circle under it ( spinning wheel) It is one sided. What throws me off is it is not cloth.

- - Updated - -

The SS Stamp has the eagle and SS runes. with a transportation circle under it ( spinning wheel) It is one sided. What throws me off is it is not cloth.

Sorry...not Third Reich. More likely 60's or 70's. The story told about it is rubbish to sell it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."