Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What is this patch?

Article about: This 2-inch, bullion, patch is sewn to the right sleeve of a WWII air force officer’s Ike jacket. He might have served in the ETO as a bombardier in an A-25, and his name was A.W. Oberhofer.

Default What is this patch?

This 2-inch, bullion, patch is sewn to the right sleeve of a WWII air force officer’s Ike jacket. He might have served in the ETO as a bombardier in an A-25, and his name was A.W. Oberhofer. Can anyone identify the patch? I regret the photo being on its side. It is upright on my desktop, but was on its side when showed up in this post. If anyone knows how to rotate it so that it is easier to view, please do. Thanks. Dwight

What is this patch?
    Last edited by Larry C; 11-25-2018 at 02:23 AM.

Air corps instructor wings

Eagle Mtn. Thank you for that answer. Dwight

no problem pal

Hi Dwight ..I resized the image to get it to rotate to the correct position.

The image ratio was to high on the width and opposite on the height.
    at that point I was able to crop it tighter and get it to turn.

The image is a little smaller but the position now is correct

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I'd also venture to say that the patch is stateside made, as a majority of these instructors remained stateside during the war. With the exception of those who served in England and a few other places overseas

Larry, Thanks for making it right, much appreciated

gel65, Would he have still worn the patch if he had been sent to a squadron overseas as a replacement pilot? My son acquired a an old apartment complex and found the uniform in a storage locker that had not been opened for several years, In the locker was a B-4 bag with several uniforms, one of which had the patch on the sleeve. Other items in the bag led my son to infer that the guy had been a bombadier, but obviously he must have been a pilot . Thanks for the additional information. The Best, Dwight

Larry, Thanks for straightening the photo.

?

Do you have any photos? I've never seen an AAC uniform with double wings. Instructor and a command pilots wing. It could be possible he first served overseas and then returned stateside to be an instructor in the last few years of the war.

gel65: are you asking me? The only photo I have is the sleeve badge photo that is posted on this thread. The only photos I have seen of a pilot wearing two sets of wings wings were of Americans who flew for the RAF before the U. S. entered the war and then were taken into the 4th Fighter Group in 1943. They wore the RAF wings on the right breast and the USAAC wings on the left. My cousin Jim Dye was one of them. But the only photo I have of him in uniform is when he was still in the RAF. The uniforms my son found when he cleaned out the storage locker have the USAAC shoulder patch on them and a single winged propeller badge on the right lapel of one of the jackets. Other than the instructor's patch discussed here, there were no other insignia. I don't know if this guy Oberhofer was a command pilot or not, but your suggestion that he was sent home to the States to be a flight instructor certainly makes sense. Thanks for helping. The Best, Dwight

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast