Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

World War Two RE Bomb Disposal Patches real & fake

Article about: Hi, I am after some advice please from those that have more experience in the subject than I, re Bomb Disposal Branch patches. (Bomb on red oval) Hopefully this post will help others as well

Default World War Two RE Bomb Disposal Patches real & fake

Hi, I am after some advice please from those that have more experience in the subject than I, re Bomb Disposal Branch patches. (Bomb on red oval)

Hopefully this post will help others as well.

I know there are a number of fake or post war patches around especially on ebay. I have a few queries, how can you tell the difference between a fake and a genuine example? What Size should they be?

Also is there any difference between wartime and post war patches?

The other thing I have wondered is what backing they should be on, most seem to be on a red felt???

Look forward to hopefully learning more soon!

I don't have any of this patch, but it is all about the fabrics used and the construction, so try looking at other period patches to see how they are made and with what and hopefully you can then garner an understanding as to what to look for and translate that to the bomb disposal patches. Embroidered on felt would be typical for WWII types, but some continue unchanged into the post war period. I don't remember ever seeing one of these as a printed version.

If you see any you are thinking of buying it is probably best to post some pics first on here for opinions.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for the input, I will certainly have a look around, are there any pointers in spotting modern stitching from that of 1940's stiching?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I don't have any of this patch, but it is all about the fabrics used and the construction, so try looking at other period patches to see how they are made and with what and hopefully you can then garner an understanding as to what to look for and translate that to the bomb disposal patches. Embroidered on felt would be typical for WWII types, but some continue unchanged into the post war period. I don't remember ever seeing one of these as a printed version.

If you see any you are thinking of buying it is probably best to post some pics first on here for opinions.

Hi I had one in my collection sold a few weeks ago here are some photos that may help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture World War Two RE Bomb Disposal Patches real & fake   World War Two RE Bomb Disposal Patches real & fake  

Thank you for the pics, can I ask if everyone agrees if this is an original patch? Kradman I am not doubting your opinion but it is always better to draw in as much experience as possible. I purchased a patch a few months ago from ebay, I kepit it is my wallet for a while to show a few people then my wallet was stolen!! I believe it was a fake or modern version, hence why I am being so careful.

Hi Rockethead This tunic came from a Rubbish tip as is so i am 100% sure its original but please feel free to ask other people if they have any of these badges in their collections as i havent seen many shown anywhere

Ok agreed would be a bit strange to go to the effort of making it up only to throw it on the tip, did you rescue it?

Hi yes i rescued it and sold it 2 weeks ago to a collector ,It is Royal Engineers badged and had Royal Engineers button but had quite alot of moth damage

Here is a picture of the original medals and badges belonging to a WW2 bomb disposal officer.
    I only have this picture so i'm sorry that i cant give you any better close ups.

Regards

Rob