Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Worn, enormous, and beautiful

Article about: Thats a nice flag!As for date im under the impression that earlier ones were made of seperate stitched panels with the material being dyed linen.. I own a stitched type and also a printed li

Default Worn, enormous, and beautiful

My first piece of British militaria: this massive flag. It measures about 45"x68". I picked it up for $5. Not bad, eh gentlemen?

Enjoy!
    Mo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Worn, enormous, and beautiful  

?

Default Re: Worn, enormous, and beautiful

she sure is nice for an old girl, looks like she been around the block a few times but still has plenty of life left in her & all for a very good price indeed

?

i dont collect british but if i saw that i would snatch it up in a heart-beat!

Good buy, but turn it the other way up.

Upside down it's a distress signal and with a deal like that you shouldn't be distressed.

Cheers,

Pat

?

Quote by Patgore View Post
    Good buy, but turn it the other way up.

Upside down it's a distress signal and with a deal like that you shouldn't be distressed.

Cheers,

Pat
    Pat is correct, the flag is upside down. There should always be a thick white diagonal stripe uppermost at top left.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

A very good buy that Mo, display it well, in my area were not allowed to display the Union Jack in public except on public buildings

Quote by davejb View Post
    A very good buy that Mo, display it well, in my area were not allowed to display the Union Jack in public except on public buildings
    Why's that?

Thanks for the correction Pat, I thought I might have had it upside-down but I wasn't sure. This flag is old for sure but I can't tell what decade it came from. 30's? 40's? 50's? I have no clue.

?

Great looking flag Mo, I'd have gladly bought it for a lot more than that.

Any national flag, when flown upside down is an internationally recognised distress signal!

And please, dont let anyone call it a Union JACK! It's a Union FLAG, it's only a Union Jack when it's flown from the jack-staff on a boat!

Must get a picture of mine up on the boards, my brother got me mine many years ago when he was stationed in Gibralter with the army. Unfortunately I dont have a wall large enough to display it on properly.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS:
    Any markings on it Mo?
    If there are, they are usually on the top edge near the runner clip. You may be lucky and find a manufacturers mark and /or date marker.
    Last edited by jimpy; 06-20-2011 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Addition

?

Ahoy there matey, got used to calling it that from my uncle, i know i shouldnt but old habits die hard

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Ahoy there matey, got used to calling it that from my uncle, i know i shouldnt but old habits die hard
    Nothing personal aimed at you Dave, its just one of my "pet peeves" mate!
    And Im not going to get into a discussion about why some local authorities have banned to flying of the Union Flag in public areas or on private grounds etc, suffice to say, sooner or later there will be a flag pole of some description put up on my premises and there will be a Union Flag or an England flag on it.
    It really gets me, especially as, when I went to the USA a couple of years ago, just about every house and public building was flying a "Stars and Bars". We should be proud of our national flag, whatever the nationality, I know I am!

Rant over and sorry for hijacking the thread Mo.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 06-20-2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Spelling/grammar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast