Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 US Navy or not please?

Article about: Pondering the purchase of this navy badge but it's away from my usual Royal Navy line. Looks nice to me, but..... Thanks.

?

Default WW1 US Navy or not please?

Pondering the purchase of this navy badge but it's away from my usual Royal Navy line. Looks nice to me, but.....
    Thanks.

WW1 US Navy or not please?

?

Default Re: WW1 US Navy or not please?

Looks like it is 40s or 50s not ww1 very nice hat badge though

The head of the eagle is facing it's left, so we know that it is pre-1940. I forget which year that the US Navy adopted the crossed anchors, but it was certainly being used in WWI. Prior to WWI, they had a single anchor. Since this one is hand made and shows no anchor ropes...Spanish American war, era, perhaps? Sorry couldn't narrow it down any further! Definitely a nice cap device, in any case, and certainly well worth having.
    Welcome to the Forum!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks guys and I'm well pleased to find this excellent forum! I'm here to learn and there is much to read.

I reckon the 3 stars shows a Rear Admiral (?) and there is something about the red tongue that dates it early but I can't Google anything like it. I try to strictly stick to WW1 when collecting as money isn't too abundant and there are so many temptations out there!

I feel I'm on a slippery slope now!

The 3 stars are normal, as the room on the little shield basically didn't allow for all that many more, so I doubt if it belonged to an Admiral. The red tongue means that it's early and hand made-as most all of them were from this era. The appearance of the eagle's neck shows that clearly. As a best guess, I would date this at the turn of the century and is most likely simply from a regular Navy officer's cap. Whoever made it sure didn't look like they knew what they were trying to draw, as the eagle looks awfully much like a winged goat, but that's just the fun of these early pieces-they were all different!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks Wagriff. As you say, it's a pretty weird eagle! I too like the naivety of these old pieces and it adds to the appeal for me.

I managed to find an image of a USN Rear Admiral with 3 stars on his collar and just guessed the rank. No doubt in reality the higher ranking officers would have something rather more grand!

I think I'll take a punt at it as it's just a nice thing to have in any collection. Just need the correct cap now!!!!!