Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Australian Armoured Corps Headress Insignia.

Article about: Gday all, I don't think one of these has been posted before, WW2 Australian Armoured Corps Headress insignia. The "modern" Australian Armoured Corps was first formed in July of 194

Default WW2 Australian Armoured Corps Headress Insignia.

Gday all,
    I don't think one of these has been posted before,
    WW2 Australian Armoured Corps Headress insignia.

WW2 Australian Armoured Corps Headress Insignia.WW2 Australian Armoured Corps Headress Insignia.

The "modern" Australian Armoured Corps was first formed in July of 1941 after the successes of the German Blitzkreig in the west and was initially made up from ex Light Horse Militia Regiments and should not to be confused with the AIF's divisional cavalry regiments.It was given the "Royal" prefix in 1948.
    The Corps on the main operated M3 Grants and Matilda II Infantry tanks as well as some Australian designed MkI and MkIII Australian Cruiser tanks (AC I and AC III) and M3 Stuart lights during the 41-45 period.
    Cheers
    Dave

Default Re: WW2 Australian Armoured Corps Headress Insignia.

Like it but I've never seen one before, would it have been on one of these? MT.X (Melbourne Textiles) made
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-10-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added text

Gday Rene,
    Yes mate it's a beret insignia.KH/brown I believe as the black beret was issued post March 45 to Armoured Regiments.
    Have a good one
    Dave

AIF
    ?

Hi Dave don't know how I missed this thread. The badge you posted is post war it is the 1948-53 version of the RAAC badge, during WW2 armoured units wore either a combination of a rising sun and a colour patch on their berets or else just a rising sun (either size) or sometimes just the colour patch.

Rene nice salty beret mate!! It could have been worn by either armoured or independent companies (commandos) as both wore the kakhi brown berets until near the end of the war. It was only cavalry units that wore black all the way through.

Bugger me you are right Luke, I was of the impression these were late WW2 but they are post war( 48-53) as you say .
    Sorry if I have misinformed anyone re these insignia.
    Cheers mate
    Dave

As a newbie here I am going to ask a question. Are silvered color badges always associated with Armor or Cavalry. More specifically a silvered rising sun.

Thanks
    Jack

Silver GS insignia were also worn by WW2 Army Nurses.
    Many were silvered as "sweetheart" badges as well which is worth noting mate.

Cheers Jack

Dave

Thanks Dave, I have one that had puzzled me. Will post.

Best
    Jack

Gents,

The only Rising Sun badge in chrome/silver that was worn by the RAAC was only worn by the 1st Armoured Regiment from 1948 to around 1954. It was later replaced by the regimental badge (I believe in time for the Queen's 1954 visit to Australia).

During WW2, the regiments of the Australian Armoured Corps wore a small Rising Sun badge on their berets though I have also seen the standard hat badge RSB being worn as well as cloth colour patches.

Mick