Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

ww2 US patches

Article about: well i just read a guide on ebay, a guy posted something abotu how to spot fakes, and he collects the stuff, and it is said that the whiter the back of the patch, the chances are it is not f

Default Re: ww2 US patches

I think you need to post any prospective purchases here on the forum until you start to learn.

yea true, anyways ill ask my dad to buy one from this seller, and ill test it myself, he does look legit cause he does take photos of the front and back of it

Yes get a UV light. You even get battery operated handheld ones for a few dollars. These are nice to keep in the car or the bag for when you come across something unexpectedly.

I for one, when I just started, got an 82nd Airborne patch. Cut edge, white back but when I put it under the UV it lit up. The WWII patches have a 'weight' to them, so to speak. Once you have seen a few in hand you will know what to look for in terms of the thread and stitching.

As Adrian mentioned above, keep a lookout for those with green thread on the back. Those are said to be 100% WWII era. Will pay a bit more, but an authentic greenback will be a good investment.

Here is an example of a 29th infantry cut edge greenback.ww2 US patchesww2 US patches

yea i know that haha, also when you put a uv light behidn the patch to check if it glows or not, do i rest the patch on the light, or do i shine it at a distance?

No just hold the light over the patch in as dark conditions as you can manage. Dont have the patch between you and the light. You will clearly see if it shines or not. Use a piece of white paper for reference. Then you can see what just reflected light off white areas and what is the 'glow'.

The reason this happens is, after the war, they started adding whiteners to paper and cloth. These whiteners are chemicals that fluoresce (glow) in UV light. As normal ambient light has a portion of UV, these chemicals glow and therefore make the items look whiter and brighter. They did not add these during the war. Care, however, must be taken as they still make no-glow material. For instance the paper used in bank notes wont glow under UV. So it is not a 100% foolproof method, but with other pointers such as the sticthing etc it helps ensure it is the real deal.

Quote by carlarganda View Post
    yea i know that haha, also when you put a uv light behidn the patch to check if it glows or not, do i rest the patch on the light, or do i shine it at a distance?
    find the thread on Kyrptos airborne patches, that will give you more patches to look at you will see the difference, like when Pacific was on , I never saw so many fake 1st marine div patches in my life & overpriced, but just find his airborne thread & you will see after a while you can tell by looking at them, sometimes you will find field made ones they get a little creative with those. but then I saw a new one the other day, I started to buy it anyway, it was a 1st mar div it said Korea on it instead of a big one on it it had a small hand with the middle finger sticking up like the one , where they usually say guadacanal. anyway just lok for everything ADE just told you, you will just know after awhile, but there are some fakers out there, I don't know why, unless it's one of the handpainted army air force leather ones, they are not cheap.or a rare patch, can't remember if it's in this thread, but I got a USS YORKTOWN CVS 10, it is so old & worn you can see through spots on it, only paid about 4 or 5 bucks for it. good luck, i buy a lot of patches, I look for obsolete ones alot. I have a small desk & the drawer is full of patches, bought my first British patch the other day, it's the 17th/21st lancers, it is sewn on a black piece of cloth, it's cool has a skull & cross bones with a banner like thing hanging off the bones which say's - or glory. take care, they do get addictive also.
    Last edited by crazy horse; 10-09-2010 at 01:41 PM.

ok thank you for the help, also what if the patch has an OD border?

?

is this method only for american patches or all patches issued during ww2????

i'm not too sure, i'm new to this myself too haha, im only used to m1 helmets and gas masks.

Quote by thekid View Post
    is this method only for american patches or all patches issued during ww2????
    Most WW2 made insignia of any country will not glow if original.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast