Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Ww2 usn naval uss drum submarine kill flag

Article about: Wondering about this flag and the authenticity and how I might know. This came out of an estate auction and I was wondering if anyone could add any info about the flag itself and its authent

?

Default Ww2 usn naval uss drum submarine kill flag

Wondering about this flag and the authenticity and how I might know. This came out of an estate auction and I was wondering if anyone could add any info about the flag itself and its authenticity? Were there often many kill flags associated with one ship? Just not sure.

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 usn naval uss drum submarine kill flag   Ww2 usn naval uss drum submarine kill flag  

?

Default Re: Ww2 usn naval uss drum submarine kill flag

Very cool I've seen ones like this before quite hard to come across looks fine to me a great flag

Default Re: Ww2 usn naval uss drum submarine kill flag

There may be a bit of a problem regarding the 'kills' on the battle flag.

Of the USS Drum's (SS-228) 13 war patrols, all save the second, ninth, and last two were designated "successful". She received a total of 12 battle stars for World War II service. She is credited with sinking 15 ships, a total of 80,580 tons of enemy shipping, eighth highest of all U.S. submarines in total Japanese tonnage sunk.

Your flag shows 26 'kills' and no battle stars, which you would also expect to be on the flag. This can all be resolved quite easily if you get in touch with the folks at Battleship Memorial Park in Mobile, Alabama, where 'Drum' is preserved as a museum ship, then you'll know....

USS Drum (SS-228) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.