Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII 2 peice Gunners Wings and officers collar brass.

Article about: Here is a set of 2 piece Gunners Wings and collar brass I recently found. I have not been able to find another set that matches these and I was wondering if this is a semi rare set or not. T

Default WWII 2 peice Gunners Wings and officers collar brass.

Here is a set of 2 piece Gunners Wings and collar brass I recently found. I have not been able to find another set that matches these and I was wondering if this is a semi rare set or not. There are no makers marks, only sterling on the reverse. They are exactly 3" in length. The most notable thing I noticed is the high position of the pin on the rear. that makes it different than any of the others I have been comparing them to. I would appreciate any comments you might have. Since I already have several of these I am going to be putting these in the classifieds as I have a major project I am working on and can use the extra cash.

Thanks
    Burt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII 2 peice Gunners Wings and officers collar brass.   WWII 2 peice Gunners Wings and officers collar brass.  

AZ Phil let me know some interesting info on the collar brass. It appears they are from the end of WWII and 1947 when the Air Force was officially changed from the Army Air Corps. Here is the link to the thread, while by the way, gets better as you go along

Opinions Wanted

Thanks Phil !!!!!!
    Burt

?

I guess I missed this thread and just saw your items in the classifieds. I'm glad I was able to get you the answer about the cut out collar tab. I have to thank Ed for that help. I like what I'm seeing as far as the Gunner Wings, But I'm not "The Guy" as far as telling who the maker is. That would be Steve. (Walkwolf). He was my Wing Go To Guy when I first started looking for a pair to honor my Uncle Joe(B17 Tailgunner)
    You can also look at this site I have used as a reference and see if you find a match.
    Aviation Wings and Badges of the World Wars

Let me know if you find one you think it might be and lets eyeball it and get a from others here.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Steve,
    I went to that site and did not see a match on the wings. Like I said earlier the most striking difference is how high the pin in the back is mounted. You can see it plainly from the front. The markings on the top feathers were different than all the examples I have found. None of the other examples I could find were close. I PM'd Steve and he said it may be a Bell Mfg. but he was not sure as they shared dies with others.

I don't know too much about the manufacturing characteristics of WW2 wings but have seen aerial gunners wings without the target background as yours have. I've also not read anything definitive about the reasoning either. Some speculation that it saved materials in the manufacturing (would have been negligible) to the use of other patterns (i.e. observer wings) and simply modifying rather than retooling for this specific wing. Also some have speculated they were Cadet wings that were modified.

I've not handled one in person but have seen pictures online. I've not seen one like this with hallmarks either. All have been marked sterling and that's it.

Some manufacturer(s) came up with the idea of soldering separate
    devices onto Obsever wings, as they likely had plenty around
    since they were not wanted.
    As one Airman is quoted as saying in 'Silver Wings, Pinks And
    Greens' - "We all wanted the one with the bomb on it".
    So you can imagine everyone else following suit.........
    Regards,

Steve.

These could be a copy if they're not die struck. I can't see the edges
    well enough, however they should not display any roundness........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

They are solid backed like Meyers wings but I see what you are looking for Steve.

Burt,
    Any chance of a close up shot of the back edges?

SF
    Phil

Gentlemen,

Here are a few pictures of the edges. I hope they are good enough.

WWII 2 peice Gunners Wings and officers collar brass.WWII 2 peice Gunners Wings and officers collar brass.WWII 2 peice Gunners Wings and officers collar brass.

Thanks
    Burt

?

Thanks Burt,
    But can they be of the back edge. Flip it over and take the same pic's. Maybe a close up of the upper wing area. What Steve is looking for is signs of stamping. These were stamped out, so there would be a slight lip from the process.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast