Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII White Ensign

Article about: Good afternoon gents, Being a former "Pongo" myself I was never really incline to persue naval militaria until my son joined the ships company of HMS Queen Elizabeth (he did 9 year

Default WWII White Ensign

Good afternoon gents,

Being a former "Pongo" myself I was never really inclined to pursue naval militaria until my son joined the ships company of HMS Queen Elizabeth (he did 9 years in the RAF but that just didn't do it for me ) I have noticed more bits and pieces from "The Senior Service" catching my (Magpie) eye

Picked this up today and although I had to pay £50 I think it was something of a bargain.

It is a "3 Yard" size which makes it 9' x 4.5'. It is Feb 1940 dated and is in pretty good condition. Not entirely sure how I shall display it but it is just one of those "nice things" that each collector will add to his collection now and again.

Sorry for the poor main picture but light is failing here and I couldn't find enough floor space!!

Please give me your thoughts.

Regards

PS The vitually unreadable stamp starting with W should read White Ensign I believe. The others are part number and date of course.

WWII White EnsignWWII White EnsignWWII White EnsignWWII White EnsignWWII White Ensign

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-14-2017 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Looks text book WWII type with brass eyelets and halyard fittings and horizontal lines running across it in the weave.

I have the next size down, I think, I never measured it but you can see it is door size, and much more worn than your one.

A great pick up
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII White Ensign  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

hi the flag looks good have seen a few of these, one thing i would say is i think date and year stamp has been added imo

?

Hello

in England, do you write 27 2 1940 instead of 2 27 1940 ??
    just a thought .........

cordially
    Didier

We write it as 27 2 1940.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

nice flag Mr Dog - Briolf, what makes you doubt the date stamp please?

?

Ade
    thank you
    I always thought it was month day year......

Didier

?

Composite, the few of these i have seen have all had only the year mark on them and not the day and month just my opinion i would say that the 27 2 1940 has been added to flag it just doesnt look right its very small aswell i could be wrong but deffo doesnt look right to me

?

i have quite a few modern military flags which are year marked only heres a few examples

- - ------- - -

oops all upside down
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII White Ensign   WWII White Ensign  

WWII White Ensign   WWII White Ensign  

?

i have a quite modern ensign also which is undated was told it was from hms ocean but no proof of that its 14f by 8ft
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII White Ensign   WWII White Ensign  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast