Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WWII (WWI??) "US" Pilots Wings STERLING MEYER marked

Article about: I got this in a lot of military items I bought from a guy. They look like WWII pilots wings, but I have tried to do some searching, but I cannot find wings with just the letters "US&quo

Default WWII (WWI??) "US" Pilots Wings STERLING MEYER marked

I got this in a lot of military items I bought from a guy. They look like WWII pilots wings, but I have tried to do some searching, but I cannot find wings with just the letters "US" in the round center! The wings are nicely marked on the back "STERLING" and it has the Meyer New York hallmark. The wings are approx. 3 1/8" long and it has some weight to it--the sterling siliver I assume. I would like someone to help me identify these and give some info. Heck, they may be WWI---I don't know! thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII (WWI??) "US" Pilots Wings STERLING MEYER marked   WWII (WWI??) "US" Pilots Wings STERLING MEYER marked  

WWII (WWI??) "US" Pilots Wings STERLING MEYER marked  

Default Re: WWII (WWI??) "US" Pilots Wings STERLING MEYER marked

Quote by excalibr View Post
    I got this in a lot of military items I bought from a guy. They look like WWII pilots wings, but I have tried to do some searching, but I cannot find wings with just the letters "US" in the round center! The wings are nicely marked on the back "STERLING" and it has the Meyer New York hallmark. The wings are approx. 3 1/8" long and it has some weight to it--the sterling siliver I assume. I would like someone to help me identify these and give some info. Heck, they may be WWI---I don't know! thanks

Excalibr

These were established on 12 November 1920 involving veteran pilots who no longer could pass the physical examination to continue piloting, but were re-rated as observers to say on flight status. Rather than embarrass them with halfwings as other observers wore. War Department Circular 383 stated "observers who have qualified as airplane pilots" were authorized a full wing with letters US within the circle.

Unfortunately I think you have a modern restrike. The originals that I have seen have the full NS Meyer New York address over the shield. Most of the Meyer badges with just the shield are restrikes that came out in the past years.

Terry

excalibr,

Though the above comments need no validation from me, the Major is quite right concerning Meyer. More collectors have probably unknowingly purchased NS Meyer re-strikes than any other wing type. As a matter of fact, I happened upon two of these (by the same seller at a shop) with very similar type marking posted here, in San Antonio last year while on vacation. They were priced at $45.00 each - quite a steal if they were original - but two in the same place on the same day for so little money? What is the old adage...if it seems too good to be true...

Not knowing enough about Meyer marks, as I collect WWI, I phoned a friend who is very "in the know" on Meyer re-strikes. With them in hand, he asked me to describe the marks and tell him their exact position. Right away, he was able to determine that they were not of the period. He confirmed my suspicions and I walked away from them. I must say that the weight and quality was superb, and they were nicely toned.

Below is a link to a fairly good reference site. I know Patrick from another forum and he is pretty knowledgeable.

Patrick's Wings and Things

A quote from the above site:

8) Avoid N.S. Meyers wings until you have more experience.
    I frequently get asked how to tell a new Meyer's from an old Meyer's wing? N.S. Meyers wings have been restruck from the original dies over the years (first time in the 1960's as rumor has it, so some of these wings have been around for 20-30 years, and have a pretty nice patina!). People will give you tips about the pins or the shield logo, but...... Why bother, just stay away from them until you really know what you are doing (if you insist on buying a N.S. Meyer wing, see TIPS below). One last thing, if you try to sell a Meyer's, they always seem to get about 20-50% less than another wing because of this issue.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Bummer about being repro. I paid good money for this stuff and it seems I am finding out the hard way about repro items! Oh well, lesson learned I guess. So, if they are repro, does that mean they are not sterling silver either? Or are they? If they are, maybe I can get a little of my money back with scrap silver! :-)

Bummer about being repro. I paid good money for this stuff and it seems I am finding out the hard way about repro items! Oh well, lesson learned I guess. So, if they are repro, does that mean they are not sterling silver either? Or are they? If they are, maybe I can get a little of my money back with scrap silver! :-)
    They are probably real silver since they came from Meyer.

I would like to say something to you and I hope you take it in the spirit in which it is intended...

I am not that "old" but I have been collecting for about 25 years now. I learned early on to apply this statement to my purchasing interests..."I have no business buying an item which I have not researched to gain the knowledge required to make an educated and knowledgeable purchase". I have done very well by adhering to this, and I would suggest the same for anyone else who is serious about this stuff.

The one statement uttered by collectors that sends a shiver down my spine is "I just bought this...is it real?" Do yourself a favor and buy some reference books on markings, or search the web. If then, you still can't find the answers needed, then ask as you are doing here BEFORE buying. I still rely on a few collector friends who have been at this longer than I have been alive when I hit dead end after dead in my research on a certain item.

I am not trying to beat up on you or attempting to be a wise guy in my comments - if I didn't care, I would not be typing this right now. I am only saying this to save you from experiencing a lot of frustration and empty pockets.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

No offense take. I bought a large lot of mainly WWII items from a guy who was really needing the money. 95% of everything else I bought is authentic. I have a few other WWII wings in my collection that are real. I had just never seen this one before with just the US on the front. I looked on eBay and a few other military auction sites and still did not see any wings that look exactly like mine (I saw some with US on them, but they had a shield instead of the round disc like mine). I am still coming out ahead on the overall deal. I got a WWI tunic and matching hat that is worth a couple thousand dollars out of the deal., as well as some vintage US Zeppelin airship airmail stamps! This was just in there and I had spent a couple nights trying to find it, and then I decided to put it up here for some answers. No biggie--I will just take it to a local coin shop and get the value in silver! Sometimes I also am 99% sure something is good--I just want to get other opinions to back up what I feel. But, thanks for the advice and I agree 100% with what you say.

No offense take. I bought a large lot of mainly WWII items from a guy who was really needing the money. 95% of everything else I bought is authentic. I have a few other WWII wings in my collection that are real. I had just never seen this one before with just the US on the front. I looked on eBay and a few other military auction sites and still did not see any wings that look exactly like mine (I saw some with US on them, but they had a shield instead of the round disc like mine). I am still coming out ahead on the overall deal. I got a WWI tunic and matching hat that is worth a couple thousand dollars out of the deal., as well as some vintage US Zeppelin airship airmail stamps! This was just in there and I had spent a couple nights trying to find it, and then I decided to put it up here for some answers. No biggie--I will just take it to a local coin shop and get the value in silver! Sometimes I also am 99% sure something is good--I just want to get other opinions to back up what I feel. But, thanks for the advice and I agree 100% with what you say.
    Curious as to the WW1 tunic and hat. That is my main area of interest, could you please give us a descripton and possibly some pic.

Thanks, Terry

I have it listed in the WWI section of this forum. It is a Medical Officers m1910 grey tunic with matching hat. Feel free to give your input on it!

I have it listed in the WWI section of this forum. It is a Medical Officers m1910 grey tunic with matching hat. Feel free to give your input on it!
    Excalibre,
    I have already had the pleasure of looking at that tunic and hat. A really beautiful and scarce uniform. I love the field grey tunics but they are few and far between. I have been lucky enough to acquire two, one a Bavarian 15th Foot Arty Captains uniform and one to a Enlisted Aviator. Both have been posted on the forum. Thanks for posting yours, it is always such a joy to view quality items such as this.

Terry

It is a really cool tunic and hat. If you know of anyone who might be interested in buying it, I am toying with the idea of trying to sell it after the holidays--once things settle back down! I would also be grateful at some suggestions of places/websites to list this, should I decide to sell (and you don't know anybody who might want to buy it outright). I can be contacted at: excalibr67@charter.net thanks!

Bill