Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

19th Cent German Made Italian sword?

Article about: Gents, Picked this sword up over the weekend. My guess is a German made Italian sword or maybe south American. Any confirmation of either? Best regards, Bob

Default 19th Cent German Made Italian sword?

Gents, Picked this sword up over the weekend. My guess is a German made Italian sword or maybe south American. Any confirmation of either?

Best regards,
    Bob

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 19th Cent German Made Italian sword?  

MAP
    ?

F (Fredrick) Horster was a German who made blades up until 1875 (other extended Horster members also made blades such as E & F Horster).

Unione Militare Roma of course is Italian. You see this label on many Italian military items. I have a Unione Miltare Rome Visor cap, so I guess they were a retailer / distributor or a Government supply of some sorts. Not sure which.

That's all I know.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The Union Militare Roma mark represents the reformed Royal Italian Army which dates from 1861 and it continued until 1946 when they abolished the monarchy. So that nicely gives us an upper year marker for this sword. The hilt is interesting as it is an all brass type in the French briquet style, though here the blade is longer probably 32 inches or more. Probably a cavalry sabre, and as MAP has kindly given us the latter date for F Horster of 1875 we can infer it was made between 1861 and 1875. Blade a little rusted but the etching is very nice. Not a commonly seen sword, pity there's no scabbard.

Are you a sword collector Bob, or just a dealer flicking them on? You don't seem that interested in the outcome of your posts.