Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

For the tank spotters

Article about: Although not ww2 armour, next time your driving through pt augusta check out the leopard at the RSL... impressive beast

4md
    ?

Default For the tank spotters

Although not ww2 armour, next time your driving through pt augusta check out the leopard at the RSL... impressive beast
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture For the tank spotters   For the tank spotters  

For the tank spotters   For the tank spotters  

?

Default Re: For the tank spotters

Wow impressive....I spent many a good time a cultana moving these and buckets around. Nice to see it has a good home, with a good connection to the area

4md
    ?

im not sure what happened to all the others......i think the australian army gave this one to the local rsl or they got it very cheap. cultana's is going to expand im told, theyve take over a heap of land from the local station owners. I guess so they can go crazy with their new tanks

?

A lot were given to RSL's, I think Palmerston RSL near darwin has one, cause it is close to 1 ARMD REGT. A few went to the Royal Australian Armoured Corps museum at Pucka, and I beleive one is in storage at the war memorial.

?

There are also 2 at 1 ARMD Regt as gate guards, and one at the entrance to Robertson Barracks near Darwin.

That would look good in my backyard!

4md
    ?

Its good to hear that theyve kept a few and not scrapped them

?

I know for a fact none were scrapped. At one stage 1 ARMD had some running centurions to use as " enemy tanks" and I do remember seeing several leopards under tarps just after the change over. The rest I believe could be in storage. They certainly didn't melt any down

4md
    ?

no worries thanks for the info i had visions of them on a range somwhere getting shot up or in some scrap yard......i suppose theyre still too good for that
    its funny to drive past the pt augusta RSL as it just looks like a house with a massive tank in the front yard until you see the sign on the window.
    regards Paul

2 have been sent to WA-one to the army museum in Fremantle (not a good spot for vehicles as they are currently kept in the open near the ocean) and one to the Dardenup Heritage centre near Bunbury in the S/W of the state-the Leopards have been well and truly deactivated and sealed by welding-the only time I ever saw one operating was in the mid eighties when one was sent to WA to participate in a firepower demo along with a range of equipment (incuding the then brand new F-18 Hornet) at the Lancelin range-I was in the reserve in 109 signals sqdn-we spent the weekend around the range at checkpoints stopping civvies from wandering around the place but I did at least get to see the thing charging about in clouds of dust!