Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown field sight?

Article about: Hi, I presumed this sight to be from an Italian artillery piece due to it using the words 'Parallelismo' and 'Direzione' but what gun would it be from and what sort of sight is it? It has wh

?

Default Unknown field sight?

Hi,

I presumed this sight to be from an Italian artillery piece due to it using the words 'Parallelismo' and 'Direzione' but what gun would it be from and what sort of sight is it? It has what I presume to be the markers mark on top 'San Giorgio S.A' and underneath that 'Genova-Sestri'
    My Flickr account has some better quality images and I'll try and post some of the markings on it if they come out okay

DSC_0029 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    DSC_0044 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    DSC_0043 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    DSC_0040 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Regards Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown field sight?   Unknown field sight?  

Unknown field sight?   Unknown field sight?  

Default Re: Unknown field sight?

It's what is known as a Dial Sight in British terminology or a Panoramic Telescope in the US. It was originally a German invention (c1906) but immediately adopted by most nations as it is the ideal solution to 'indirect fire', i.e. shooting at something you can't actually see. It's one of the 'basics' of modern artillery.

Rob

?

Just some close ups of some of the markings:
    Italian sight close up 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Italian sight close up 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Also one on the side which reads '3.3 x' and underneath it (separated by a horizontal line) '190' I presume this is the magnification or something
    Regards Matt

?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I'll have a look on the net later as I don't get how the thing actually works and I think it could take a while to explain so I won't ask. Would the iron sight on the side of it be for direct fire then?

Regards Matt

Quote by Matt2 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I'll have a look on the net later as I don't get how the thing actually works and I think it could take a while to explain so I won't ask. Would the iron sight on the side of it be for direct fire then?

Regards Matt
    Basically, with a dial sight/panoramic telescope, you use survey equipment (a director or theodolite for example) to point the gun in a particular direction on the map and then aim the sight at one or two random, and preferably distant objects. When the sight is then set to zero, you can use the sight to point the gun in any direction left or right of the zero line, and use the random objects (Gun Aiming points) to check the aim... if you see what i mean Therefore you can aim at the target without being able to see it.

I'm not sure exactly how this model would work, and whether it would have direct fire aiming built into it. British/Commonwealth artillery usually had a separate DF telescope.

Rob

?

Hi,
    Ah right, that makes it a bit clearer, I'm not familiar with artillery and their sights so I'll have to look into it as it still confuses me, the top half of the sight rotates and I don't quite understand why?

I guess it could be an emergency direct fire sight? Any idea what gun it would be mounted on or were they generally transferable? Thanks for your help

Regards Matt

Quote by Matt2 View Post
    Hi,
    Ah right, that makes it a bit clearer, I'm not familiar with artillery and their sights so I'll have to look into it as it still confuses me, the top half of the sight rotates and I don't quite understand why?

I guess it could be an emergency direct fire sight? Any idea what gun it would be mounted on or were they generally transferable? Thanks for your help

Regards Matt
    This might explain it a little better than myself:
    The Basics of Gunnery
    LAYIND AND ORIENTING THE GUNS

As to what gun, to be honest, i don't even know what kind of guns the Italians had I imagine they would need weapons with a full 360 traverse as they keep switiching sides all the time (joke)

Rob