Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Italian 2 Lt Visor - Engineer

Article about: I've had this for a number of year and don't think I've ever posted it as I couldn't find any photos. So pulled it out and took a few quick shots this evening Its a WW2 2nd Lt Army Engineer/

MAP
    ?

Default Italian 2 Lt Visor - Engineer

I've had this for a number of year and don't think I've ever posted it as I couldn't find any photos. So pulled it out and took a few quick shots this evening

Its a WW2 2nd Lt Army Engineer/Sapper visor made by S.A. La Classica Abbigliamento Militare (Classical Military Clothing), Torino.

I really like the look of it as the stiffener was removed to give it that floppy look.

I don't profess to know much about Italian visors but I think it is the later "Imperial" style with a more German style sharper angled brim and higher crown which was introduced around 1939.

Unfortunately it is missing the Unit number but if you look closely at the photo you can see the outline of a number. Not sure what it is? Any thoughts? 8, 9, 3?

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Map, a very nice cap. S.A. La Classica Abbigliamento Militare is one of the better makes of Italian visions, i am fairly sure this is an earlier one rather than later one as you would think. The earlier Italian visors seem to mostly get this crazing/cracking effect on the visor itself. It is a very nice cap. The number, if i had to hazard a guess it would be a 5 more than anything.
    Morris

MAP
    ?

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    Map, a very nice cap. S.A. La Classica Abbigliamento Militare is one of the better makes of Italian visions, i am fairly sure this is an earlier one rather than later one as you would think. The earlier Italian visors seem to mostly get this crazing/cracking effect on the visor itself. It is a very nice cap. The number, if i had to hazard a guess it would be a 5 more than anything.
    Morris
    Thanks Morris. This helps a lot. I always like to dig into the little details.

It's a well used cap but still in fantastic shape with no nips and a soft and intact liner band. While the wire (if it had any) was removed, it also has extra layers of padding on the sides and top to give it that jaunty look (at least to me )

I assumed it was the later style due to the more german like brim but as I said, I know little about them. I have a Captains white top that has a complete different look.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Micheal,
    very interesting Italian visor caps, the first example is a model often used by young Second Lieutenants, this clue together with the fact that it was bought in Turin, makes me think that its owner has attended the "Artillery and Engineers Application School in Turin" and subsequently transferred to the regiment.
    The badge is that of the "Genio di Corpo d'Armata", under the regiment numbers of this specialty and the location of their headquarters in the WW2 years:
    1° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Torino)
    2° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Casale Monferrato)
    3° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Pavia)
    4° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Bolzano)
    5° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Trieste)
    6° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Bologna)
    7° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Firenze)
    8° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Roma)
    9° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Trani)
    10° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Santa Maria Capua Vetere)
    11° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Udine)
    12° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Palermo)
    13° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Cagliari)
    14° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Belluno)
    15° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Chiavari)
    20° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Tripoli, LIBIA)
    21° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Bengàsi, LIBIA)
    26° Reggimento Genio di Corpo d'Armata (Tirana, ALBANIA)

I think your example belonged to the 3rd regiment.

The second example is that of the white summer uniform M34, the badge in this case is that of the "13th Light Horsemen Regiment of Monferrato", this unit has fought in the North African Campaign equipped with light tanks L6/40.
    Its owner was a Captain, and as usual the senior officers preferred the model with the wide and flat top.
    Here are some examples:
    Captain 213 Infantry Reg. "Arno"-Gavinana II Division

Second Lieutenant Army Pharmacists

Second Lieutenant 28th Infantry Reg.-Pavia Division

I hope they are useful information.

Regards
    Roberto
    Last edited by OldSteel; 12-23-2017 at 05:57 PM. Reason: add info

MAP
    ?

Roberto, "Useful" is an understatement. Fantastic information!

Thanks for all the help.

Merry Christmas!

Edit: Beautiful examples by the way. I see the similarity to mine in your last photo! Personally I prefer the look of this over the ones with the wide flat top.