Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Italian Destroyer "RN Leone Pancaldo" badge

Article about: Hello to all, rummaging through the various items in a flea market, I noticed this badge with the typical silhouette of an Italian Destroyer of World War II, I bought it for a few Euros. Ins

Default Italian Destroyer "RN Leone Pancaldo" badge

Hello to all,
    rummaging through the various items in a flea market, I noticed this badge with the typical silhouette of an Italian Destroyer of World War II, I bought it for a few Euros.
    Instead, it is the testimony of a piece of history of the Italian Navy, in fact it is a silver badge supplied to the members of the crew of the destroyer class "Navigators": the ship "Leone Pancaldo" where you can see the needle repair hand made by its owner.
    This ship had a full life, he participated as a support ship to the flight across the Atlantic by Italo Balbo, Italy-Brazil in 1931; later, during WW2, he participated in several battles against the British "Mediterranean Fleet" and the peculiar thing was that it was sunk twice.
    The first time was sunk in 10-June-1940, in the port of Augusta (Sicily), hit by a torpedo launched by a Fairey Swordfish took off from the aircraft carrier "HMS Eagle", they died sixteen crew men, but rested on a shallow water and was recovered and rebuilt.
    The second time in the 30-April-1943, while it is sailing along with the German Destroyers "Ermes", two miles off Cape Bon (Tunisia), after intense fighting hit by aircraft bombs of P40 belonging to RSAAF and USAAF units.
    This time the "RN Leone Pancaldo" sank definitely taking with him part of the men on board, in fact died 156 crew members and 75 German soldiers who was carrying in North Africa.
    As I said, a small object, but with so much history it !, probably guarded with pride for many years by one or survivors; it seemed interesting to share with you.

ship image link:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-K0h3KWINl4...aldo1+(SM).jpg
    https://www.google.it/url?sa=t&rct=j...39782543,d.bGg
    https://www.google.it/url?sa=t&rct=j...39782543,d.bGg

Thanks for looking.
    Roberto

Italian Destroyer "RN Leone Pancaldo"  badgeItalian Destroyer "RN Leone Pancaldo"  badgeItalian Destroyer "RN Leone Pancaldo"  badgeItalian Destroyer "RN Leone Pancaldo"  badge
    Last edited by OldSteel; 12-03-2016 at 07:53 PM. Reason: add photo

?

Hi Roberto , what a great little item with so much history attached , thanks for showing it and the story behind it .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Hi Roberto , what a great little item with so much history attached , thanks for showing it and the story behind it .
    Thanks Alan,
    it was a pleasure for me and I'm glad you have appreciated.

Cheers

A superb and likely near unique item! I like it! Nice find!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    A superb and likely near unique item! I like it! Nice find!
    Thanks Wagriff, even for me this was a nice find; in the history of my family there were many WW2 Veterans and some have fought in Italian Royal Navy in the Mediterranean theater.

Cheers

Thank you Roberto for telling us the story of this ship and these men !

Quote by Shining View Post
    Thank you Roberto for telling us the story of this ship and these men !
    I thank you shining,
    remember the stories of those who fought with honor in any Army is for me always a pleasure.

Cheers
    Last edited by OldSteel; 12-04-2016 at 09:40 PM. Reason: word correction

?

Never seen one before. Thanks for posting. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Quote by rra227 View Post
    Never seen one before. Thanks for posting. Rich A. in Pa.
    Hi Rich,
    I'm glad I showed something new, I knew the existence of these badges that were distributed to the crew members, but I'd never found one and in good condition like this.

Cheers
    Last edited by OldSteel; 12-05-2016 at 09:15 PM. Reason: word correction

?

I have very little Italian Navy stuff. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.