Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Italian dogtag from POW camp

Article about: Dear all, I found this italian at German POW camp. The camp housed Italian POWS (internees) from the end of 1943 onwards. It has the following written on it: 13882 (54) O. BERGAMASCHI LUIGI

Default Italian dogtag from POW camp

Dear all,

I found this italian at German POW camp. The camp housed Italian POWS (internees) from the end of 1943 onwards.

It has the following written on it:
    13882 (54) O.
    BERGAMASCHI
    LUIGI DI FRAN
    CESCO B BERGA
    MASCHI SANTINA
    CL. 1924
    CORZANO
    (BRESCIA)

I know his last name would be Bergamaschi, born 1924, from Corzano (Brescia province).
    But I am not knowledgeable enough on this matter to confidently draw his full name and parents names from this.
    Can someone help me?

Also: can someone help me find his unit?
    Once I know more about this tag I will write an email to the community he is from.

Thanks,

Chris
    Italian dogtag from POW camp

All right, I can only add that father' name was FRANCESCO and mother's name was BERGAMASCHI SANTINA.
    13882 was the enlistment number and 54 the district of enlistment. C (not O) means catholic.
    From the dog tag (PIASTRINO) is not possible find the unit.

Quote by kanister View Post
    All right, I can only add that father' name was FRANCESCO and mother's name was BERGAMASCHI SANTINA.
    13882 was the enlistment number and 54 the district of enlistment. C (not O) means catholic.
    From the dog tag (PIASTRINO) is not possible find the unit.
    Thanks a lot. I was confused a bit by the names. Are there databases where I can find his unit? Soldiers from 231ยบ Reggimento fanteria "Avellino" where interned at the camp where I found it, I would like to confirm whether it is one of them.

Chris

You can try at the DISTRETTO di BRESCIA (Brescia military district) and ask for the FOGLIO MATRICOLARE, but they reply only to narrow relatives.
    Last edited by kanister; 12-11-2018 at 07:31 PM.

I sent a detailed email to the Corzano municipality, let's see if they reply.

Chris

Might be worth contacting the ICRC in Geneva as well as they may have some details that they can share.