Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Italian post war tunic (?)

Article about: Dear Fellow Collectors / Researchers, I have acquired a tunic that I'm pretty sure is of Italian origin. At least I think it is. I'm just not sure of its authenticity and I have a few questi

Default Italian post war tunic (?)

Dear Fellow Collectors / Researchers,
    I have acquired a tunic that I'm pretty sure is of Italian origin. At least I think it is. I'm just not sure of its authenticity and I have a few questions about it. It constists of a U.S. made / issue shirt with Italian badges and insignia.
    1) Is this a fantasy piece?
    2) Was it custom for the Italains actually use U.S. uniform items for their military?
    3) Are the badges, awards and insignia proper?
    Any information is happily accepted.
    Thanks for your time and assistance.
    R/ Twillie2

Default Italian Post War Tunic(?)

Here are the pictures of the Tunic: Italian post war tunic (?)Italian post war tunic (?)Italian post war tunic (?)Italian post war tunic (?)Italian post war tunic (?)Italian post war tunic (?)Italian post war tunic (?)Italian post war tunic (?)

Thanks for turning the picture right and thanks for the thumbs up! R/ Twillie2

Hello, Twillie2
    The Italian Army has almost always used its own uniforms, except in a few cases, for example, the Italian troops deployed with the Allies used British battle dress and Mk2 helmets in the period 1944-1945, while in the postwar a few US M1 helmets were used by Air Force and Navy.
    I have never seen a model of this type in use in the Italian Armed Forces, what I see, reminds me a US Army utility shirt of 70s, modified as a Italian Army wind jacket mod. 40 (see lateral strings).
    The attributes on it are Italian, but I think they are assorted in non-coherent ways and times:
    -Collar tabs: Carabinieri (Military Police)
    -Pin Greek- Albanian Front WW2
    -Unidentified Paratrooper Brevet??

Ribbon in the order from left to right, and from top to bottom:
    -War Merit Cross
    -WW2 Commemorative Medal (3 star for 3 year)
    -Medal of Italian-Turkish War 1911-1912
    -Spanish War Commemorative Medal
    -Spanish War Cross
    -Medal of East Africa Campaign 1935-1936
    -WW2 Volunteer Medal
    -WW1 Interallied Victory Medal
    Furthermore, they are machine-sewn on, something never seen because they were usually removable, so that they could be removed during washing.
    There is also to be considered that some of the ribbons present were no longer used in the post-war period, and at that time a WW1 soldier would probably have been retired.
    I think it's a fantasy piece, of course this is just my opinion and I hope to have helped.

Regards
    Roberto

Thanks Roberto,
    I had a suspicion that this was a fantasy piece. I just wasn't sure if the Italian Army used US Army uniform items or not. I also looked up some of the badges and medal ribbons and concluded that there was something a bit off as the ribbons span a long period of time and some may not have been allowed for wear anymore. Even though it's a fantasy piece, I'll keep it. Again thanks for the information. Regards Twillie2