Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

mussolini family ski holiday 1934?

Article about: Hi everyone, found these recently and wondered if it is who it looks to be as it is a little far out of my comfort zone. the photos are marked terminillo 9 feb 1934 is there any record of mu

Default mussolini family ski holiday 1934?

Hi everyone, found these recently and wondered if it is who it looks to be as it is a little far out of my comfort zone.

the photos are marked terminillo 9 feb 1934
    is there any record of mussolini skiing with his family then?
    looks to me like mussolini with daughter edda and wife Rachele.

interested in a second opinion please!
    kind regards
    Ed

mussolini family ski holiday 1934?mussolini family ski holiday 1934?mussolini family ski holiday 1934?mussolini family ski holiday 1934?

Yes Ed, the Termilnillo was the Mussolini's favourite place for winter sports: he had even a reserved room in the local, main hotel. I found a single pic, depicting a baby in the snow (Annamaria Mussolini?), from the Istituto Nazionale Luce archive (the Fascist propaganda Institute) dated 25/1/34 and titled "Mussolini at Terminillo":
    https://didatticalucerieti.files.wor...chedalucef.pdf
    Furthermore, I'm far to be an expert, but the writing on the back of your pic is very close to the Mussolini's writing.
    If so, I believe you have there a quite scarce group of historical documents, congrats!

Quote by ziomanno View Post
    If so, I believe you have there a quite scarce group of historical documents, congrats!
    thank you Ziomanno!

I found these at the bottom of a box of old paperwork and at a local auction (love digging through ephemera!), paid a couple of quid for the box on the off chance that these were in fact the mussolini family.
    It make you wonder how they ended up in leicester!?

any idea on a possible way to authenticate the handwriting?

thanks again
    Ed

Very strange find, indeed. I think they could be a war souvenir, picked up somewhere in Italy by a British soldier, then ended up in a Leicester flea market; actually, the area around Terminillo mount (Rieti, Terni, etc.) was taken by British troops. About how to authenticate the handwriting, I think you need a good expert graphologist; you could also try to submit these pics to the Istituto Luce (they are still in business):
    mediateca@cinecittaluce.it
    Maybe they could give you more deatails on your interesting photos.